Sump Pump Maintenance — Make Sure the Equipment’s Ready When Needed
Unlike other appliances in your house that are used frequently, you probably seldom think about your sump pump until it’s truly needed to avoid possible health and safety hazards. As a homeowner, a few simple sump pump maintenance steps every few months can help keep the equipment in tip-top shape and ready to work if and when it’s needed.
Sump Pump Maintenance Tasks
Every basement is different when it comes to the amount of water it may collect over time. At least three to four times a year, however, the entire sump pump system should be checked for proper operation.
- Typically, there will be a bit of stagnant water left in the sump pit. Start the sump pump maintenance by pouring a few gallons of fresh water into the pit. This will verify that the float or switch is working correctly, and it will remove the old water.
- Unplug the pump from the electrical outlet, and disconnect the discharge plumbing. Most sump pumps have a flexible hose or a quick-disconnect union allowing for easy removal. If yours does not, you may have to consult a plumber.
- Lift the pump from the pit and lay it on its side to expose the bottom. Over time, debris may collect on the intake ports and the screen, reducing the pump’s efficiency.
- Carefully remove any loose debris from the pump, and any from the pit, if necessary.
- Lower the pump back into the pit, reconnect the plumbing and plug the pump back in.
- Ensure that the outlet is protected by a ground fault circuit interrupter (GFCI) device.
- Finally, run a few more gallons through the pump while checking the discharge pipe for possible blockages. A few minutes of sump pump maintenance can easily spare you a big headache in the future.
If you have problems with your sump pump, or have any other questions regarding sump pump maintenance, feel free to contact the professionals at Apollo Home Heating, Cooling and Plumbing. We’ve been serving the greater Cincinnati area since 1910, and we will be glad to help you with all of your HVAC and plumbing needs.
Image via Shutterstock.com
"Ernie & Mike did a superb job on my new furnace and A/C installation. Despite having more than a day’s work to do, they came in and stayed until the job was done. They were organized, efficient, and protected the rest of the house well. Got both furnace and A/C installed the same day. Ernie was courteous, informative, and clearly knew his job better than anyone I’ve encountered before. The units look so good guests now get The Tour of our new system. Apollo is clearly not a fly-by-night company. I would recommend them to anyone in need of a new furnace and/or A/C."
- Jerry A.
"I called Apollo because of a water leak I thought I had in our upstairs shower going into the kitchen. Robbie came and assured me everything was fine & looked at all the other plumbing. He ended up changing a few pipes for our washer & clearing a drain. He was very nice & knowledgeable with all my questions. I ended up signing up for the care plan & was very happy with my service."
- Cassandra B.
"The team at Apollo exceeded my expectations. As a business owner, my attention to the details and commitment to providing excellent service is high. From the sales rep. to the installation team, everyone’s performance was outstanding. For example, the installation team went to great lengths to protect our floors, placing floor runners and across the wood floors and up the stairs. They even were spot washing walls upon their departure. I highly recommend this company."
- Randy B.
"We scheduled an estimate AND a tune-up. We knew something was wrong with our furnace, but hoped we could make it through the rest of the season. Upon telling Bill what our furnace was doing, he warned us immediately what the possible outcome was going to be; a cracked heat exchanger. He watched the flames roll backward, tested carbon monoxide levels, which were so high they meter’s last reading was 5,600 before saying “high”. He immediately shut it down, tagged it, and explained that with levels that high and children in our home he wanted off right away. He continued his inspection and showed us via a camera that not only was it cracked in multiple places, but had holes all over it. He gave us a few options for repairing it; his knowledge as well as genuine concern was beneficial and refreshing. Luckily we also scheduled an estimator, Micah, to come too and we were able to get costs between repairing and replacing (with several options). We decided to replace with a much higher efficiency furnace and one sized properly to our home. Hands down, not only did they both provide us great service and knowledge, but without sounding dramatic, they may have saved our lives. This was our first time calling Apollo, but it won’t be our last."
- Sarah B.
"Apollo is an excellent company. I always receive great service. Alex A. was professional and friendly. He kept me informed during the process of checking my furnace and heat pump to make sure they were working properly. The company makes sure you are notified who is coming and when they are on the way. All my interactions with the company have been wonderful."
- Beverly S.