Damage from frozen pipes in your home can cause a real financial meltdown. Here are some steps to take to make sure you do not have to deal with frozen pipes this winter.
- Do not let your thermostat dip below 55 degrees. Keep in mind that includes making sure your home is heated even while you are away.
- Keep water moving. Water standing inside pipes can be subject to freezing. Allow a slight drip from a faucet farthest from your main water valve to keep that water active.
- Identify pipes with direct exposure to the outdoors and insulate them against the elements.
- Insulate pipes in unheated areas like the garage of the unfinished basement area.
- Prepare outdoor spigots and sprinkler systems for freezing temperatures by shutting off the water supply and bleeding the lines. Keep the valve open so any remaining water can expand without causing a break.
- During extreme temperatures, open cupboards, closets, and vanities to expose the pipes inside to the room temperature to help keep them from freezing.
- Keep your garage doors closed. That helps with another barrier to the outside weather temperatures.
- Consider adding insulation to attics, basement and crawl spaces.
- Conserve heat inside the home by sealing cracks and drafts around windows and doors and around electrical wiring and dryer vents.
When falling temperatures bring a chill in the air, remember your home’s pipes get cold too. A few precautions when it comes to preventing frozen pipes will save costly repairs from a burst pipe. If your pipes do begin to freeze you can wrap warm towels around them or use a space heater or even a hair dryer to thaw them. When using these methods make sure you continue to monitor the situation and never leave the space unattended. In the case that your pipes do burst you will need a professional to repair them so call Apollo Home. We are Cincinnati’s top-rated plumbing repair service and we are ready to serve you no matter when disaster strikes!
"Ernie & Mike did a superb job on my new furnace and A/C installation. Despite having more than a day’s work to do, they came in and stayed until the job was done. They were organized, efficient, and protected the rest of the house well. Got both furnace and A/C installed the same day. Ernie was courteous, informative, and clearly knew his job better than anyone I’ve encountered before. The units look so good guests now get The Tour of our new system. Apollo is clearly not a fly-by-night company. I would recommend them to anyone in need of a new furnace and/or A/C."
- Jerry A.
"I called Apollo because of a water leak I thought I had in our upstairs shower going into the kitchen. Robbie came and assured me everything was fine & looked at all the other plumbing. He ended up changing a few pipes for our washer & clearing a drain. He was very nice & knowledgeable with all my questions. I ended up signing up for the care plan & was very happy with my service."
- Cassandra B.
"The team at Apollo exceeded my expectations. As a business owner, my attention to the details and commitment to providing excellent service is high. From the sales rep. to the installation team, everyone’s performance was outstanding. For example, the installation team went to great lengths to protect our floors, placing floor runners and across the wood floors and up the stairs. They even were spot washing walls upon their departure. I highly recommend this company."
- Randy B.
"We scheduled an estimate AND a tune-up. We knew something was wrong with our furnace, but hoped we could make it through the rest of the season. Upon telling Bill what our furnace was doing, he warned us immediately what the possible outcome was going to be; a cracked heat exchanger. He watched the flames roll backward, tested carbon monoxide levels, which were so high they meter’s last reading was 5,600 before saying “high”. He immediately shut it down, tagged it, and explained that with levels that high and children in our home he wanted off right away. He continued his inspection and showed us via a camera that not only was it cracked in multiple places, but had holes all over it. He gave us a few options for repairing it; his knowledge as well as genuine concern was beneficial and refreshing. Luckily we also scheduled an estimator, Micah, to come too and we were able to get costs between repairing and replacing (with several options). We decided to replace with a much higher efficiency furnace and one sized properly to our home. Hands down, not only did they both provide us great service and knowledge, but without sounding dramatic, they may have saved our lives. This was our first time calling Apollo, but it won’t be our last."
- Sarah B.
"Apollo is an excellent company. I always receive great service. Alex A. was professional and friendly. He kept me informed during the process of checking my furnace and heat pump to make sure they were working properly. The company makes sure you are notified who is coming and when they are on the way. All my interactions with the company have been wonderful."
- Beverly S.