Creepy House Noises You Shouldn’t Ignore
Does your house go bump in the night? Here’s a look at some noises coming from your home that you need to treat right away!
Is there a nightmare brewing in my pipes?
Snaking through your home, your plumbing system can be the root of many scary sounds.
- Clunking: Goblins are not taking hold of your home, most likely that banging sound is the result of high-water pressure inside the pipes looking for somewhere to go when the faucet is turned off. Fix: Shut off the main water supply to the home and drain the faucets to reset the water system’s air chamber.
- Banging: It’s not Trick-or-Treaters at your door, but it could be a sediment buildup in your water heater. The noise is steam bubbles escaping through the sediment on the bottom of the tank. Fix: flush your water heater and clean the filter.
- Vibrating: Is a poltergeist rattling your pipes? Probably not. Water pressure set too high can cause pipes to vibrate and even leak. Check your water pressure with a thread pressure gauge and adjust.
What should spark worry from my electrical system?
When your home’s electrical appliances are operating, they will make a low buzz or hum that is considered a white noise within the home. But sudden or loud change could indicate a problem.
- Buzzing: Does that buzzing sound mean your house is possessed? Buzzing from an appliance could indicate the electrical socket is faulty. Fix: Get a professional to examine the outlet.
- Humming: Does it sound like there’s a musical ghost behind your electrical panel? Fix: There could be an issue with one of the breakers or the fuses in the panel. This is a job for a licensed electrician due to the danger of high voltage shock.
What are those strange sounds coming from the basement?
Down in the belly of the beast, or more commonly-called your basement, your HVAC system quietly heats and cools your home. But, if you don’t properly maintain your furnace, you might just hear some eerie sounds that may get your attention.
- Whistling: It’s not the sound of a ghost, that whistling noise might just mean it’s time to change the dirty filters in your home’s HVAC system. Fix: Clean filters will silence that ghost and help your system run more efficiently.
- Knocking: A spirit trapped in your home? More likely this banging sound can be a bent blade in your fan’s HVAC system. Unbalanced or bent fans can do additional damage to your entire HVAC system Fix: Get a professional to make the repair.
- Squealing: Not a black cat, squealing can be the sounds of an HVAC motor that needs lubrication. Left unprepared and you can have a big fright on your hands. Fix: Get an expert to engage in a maintenance program for your HVAC.
One company, one call! The experts at APOLLO HOME can take the fear out of all of your scary home noises. Call us today.
"Ernie & Mike did a superb job on my new furnace and A/C installation. Despite having more than a day’s work to do, they came in and stayed until the job was done. They were organized, efficient, and protected the rest of the house well. Got both furnace and A/C installed the same day. Ernie was courteous, informative, and clearly knew his job better than anyone I’ve encountered before. The units look so good guests now get The Tour of our new system. Apollo is clearly not a fly-by-night company. I would recommend them to anyone in need of a new furnace and/or A/C."
- Jerry A.
"I called Apollo because of a water leak I thought I had in our upstairs shower going into the kitchen. Robbie came and assured me everything was fine & looked at all the other plumbing. He ended up changing a few pipes for our washer & clearing a drain. He was very nice & knowledgeable with all my questions. I ended up signing up for the care plan & was very happy with my service."
- Cassandra B.
"The team at Apollo exceeded my expectations. As a business owner, my attention to the details and commitment to providing excellent service is high. From the sales rep. to the installation team, everyone’s performance was outstanding. For example, the installation team went to great lengths to protect our floors, placing floor runners and across the wood floors and up the stairs. They even were spot washing walls upon their departure. I highly recommend this company."
- Randy B.
"We scheduled an estimate AND a tune-up. We knew something was wrong with our furnace, but hoped we could make it through the rest of the season. Upon telling Bill what our furnace was doing, he warned us immediately what the possible outcome was going to be; a cracked heat exchanger. He watched the flames roll backward, tested carbon monoxide levels, which were so high they meter’s last reading was 5,600 before saying “high”. He immediately shut it down, tagged it, and explained that with levels that high and children in our home he wanted off right away. He continued his inspection and showed us via a camera that not only was it cracked in multiple places, but had holes all over it. He gave us a few options for repairing it; his knowledge as well as genuine concern was beneficial and refreshing. Luckily we also scheduled an estimator, Micah, to come too and we were able to get costs between repairing and replacing (with several options). We decided to replace with a much higher efficiency furnace and one sized properly to our home. Hands down, not only did they both provide us great service and knowledge, but without sounding dramatic, they may have saved our lives. This was our first time calling Apollo, but it won’t be our last."
- Sarah B.
"Apollo is an excellent company. I always receive great service. Alex A. was professional and friendly. He kept me informed during the process of checking my furnace and heat pump to make sure they were working properly. The company makes sure you are notified who is coming and when they are on the way. All my interactions with the company have been wonderful."
- Beverly S.