What Items Are Safe to Put Down Your Drains?
It’s tempting to toss just about anything down the sink to get it out of sight and out of mind. But, what you put down the drain might come back to cause bigger issues!
Here’s what is A-Okay to go down your drain!
- Soft foods: If your choppers can chop it up, then so can your garbage disposal
- Liquids: down the hatch and down the drain!
- Vegetables: Eat your veggies, but if you have some left over toss the non-fibrous ones down the drain.
- Leftovers: Clean your plate and then slowly let the garbage disposal take care of the rest.
Check out our list of things you cannot put down your kitchen sink!
- Grease, Oils and Fats: pour liquid grease into a container until it hardens and then toss it in the trash. Pour it in your kitchen sink and the hardening happens in your drain!
- Paper Towels: they are great to absorb that spill but they’ll keep expanding in your drain
- Pasta: After you mangia, toss the leftovers in the trash. Pasta will gum your drain.
- Flour: Seems harmless but flour mixes with the water in your sink to make a gooey paste.
- Medications: Less about a clog and more an environmental no-no because medications can end up in the eco-system.
- Coffee Grounds: You think you’re sluggish in the morning! Toss your grounds down the drain and see what happens.
- Rice: Don’t underestimate the power of grains of rice to expand and create clogs in your drain
- Eggshells: You shouldn’t walk on them and definitely don’t toss them down the drain. In addition to dulling your garbage disposal, the shells can attach to the sides of the drain and invite additional waste to join in.
- Potato Peels: One potato, two potato…these peels will have you singing a sad song when their starchy selves clog your drain.
- Seafood shells– Your drain will really feel the pinch when those crab, lobster or shrimp shells get stuck there.
Three P Rule for Potties-What is safe and not safe in the toilet?
Experts suggest following the “three P rule” for keeping sewer drains clear–only Pee, Poop and (toilet) Paper is good to go when you’ve got to go. Feminine products, flushable wipes, condoms, baby wipes and other hygiene products are bound to bind up your sewer line.
If you have a clogged drain, Apollo Home can help with fast and reliable solutions. Call us today for professional drain cleaning services!
"Ernie & Mike did a superb job on my new furnace and A/C installation. Despite having more than a day’s work to do, they came in and stayed until the job was done. They were organized, efficient, and protected the rest of the house well. Got both furnace and A/C installed the same day. Ernie was courteous, informative, and clearly knew his job better than anyone I’ve encountered before. The units look so good guests now get The Tour of our new system. Apollo is clearly not a fly-by-night company. I would recommend them to anyone in need of a new furnace and/or A/C."
- Jerry A.
"I called Apollo because of a water leak I thought I had in our upstairs shower going into the kitchen. Robbie came and assured me everything was fine & looked at all the other plumbing. He ended up changing a few pipes for our washer & clearing a drain. He was very nice & knowledgeable with all my questions. I ended up signing up for the care plan & was very happy with my service."
- Cassandra B.
"The team at Apollo exceeded my expectations. As a business owner, my attention to the details and commitment to providing excellent service is high. From the sales rep. to the installation team, everyone’s performance was outstanding. For example, the installation team went to great lengths to protect our floors, placing floor runners and across the wood floors and up the stairs. They even were spot washing walls upon their departure. I highly recommend this company."
- Randy B.
"We scheduled an estimate AND a tune-up. We knew something was wrong with our furnace, but hoped we could make it through the rest of the season. Upon telling Bill what our furnace was doing, he warned us immediately what the possible outcome was going to be; a cracked heat exchanger. He watched the flames roll backward, tested carbon monoxide levels, which were so high they meter’s last reading was 5,600 before saying “high”. He immediately shut it down, tagged it, and explained that with levels that high and children in our home he wanted off right away. He continued his inspection and showed us via a camera that not only was it cracked in multiple places, but had holes all over it. He gave us a few options for repairing it; his knowledge as well as genuine concern was beneficial and refreshing. Luckily we also scheduled an estimator, Micah, to come too and we were able to get costs between repairing and replacing (with several options). We decided to replace with a much higher efficiency furnace and one sized properly to our home. Hands down, not only did they both provide us great service and knowledge, but without sounding dramatic, they may have saved our lives. This was our first time calling Apollo, but it won’t be our last."
- Sarah B.
"Apollo is an excellent company. I always receive great service. Alex A. was professional and friendly. He kept me informed during the process of checking my furnace and heat pump to make sure they were working properly. The company makes sure you are notified who is coming and when they are on the way. All my interactions with the company have been wonderful."
- Beverly S.