This year you may be ready to amp up the cheery lights and holiday décor to bring a little joy through the final stretch of 2020! Check out these tips to make sure your winter wonderland is wired safely!
- When choosing an artificial tree make sure it is one that is labeled as “fire-resistant.”
- Unplug your tree lights when you go to bed.
- Make sure you adequately water your tree to prevent it from drying out and becoming a fire hazard.
- Use indoor lights only in the interior of the home.
- Inspect holiday lights for broken pieces, frayed wiring or loose connections.
- Read up on stringing sets of lights together. Often there will be a limit on the number that can be connected.
- Hang outside lights on branches or hooks, never tack or nail them in place.
- Make sure to unplug or turn off all lights and decorations for the night. Using electrical timers is an easy way to set it and forget it.
- Inspect extension cords for cracked or frayed sockets.
- Use cords rated for exterior use outside.
- Do not overload extension cords. Check a power rating for devices plugged into extension cords.
- Keep outdoor extension cords from sitting in standing water.
- Never alter the number of prongs to match your outlet or plug.
- Extension cords should never be run through walls, doorways or ceilings, or under carpets. Doing so is a fire hazard.
- Extension cords should only be used for temporary power sources, not as a permanent wiring solution. Call a certified electrician to help with whole home rewiring or adding outlets to meet your home’s needs.
Long Winter’s Nap
- Keep electronics out of your bed. Electronics like heating blankets and even iPhones left on overnight can overheat under blankets and pillows.
- Make sure your home’s smoke alarms are wired to work in each bedroom and outside sleeping areas on every level.
- Keep fresh batteries in your flashlight and new ones nearby so you are ready for any emergency outage.
The holidays are merry and bright. Make sure they stay that way by being safe with your home’s electrical system and devices. If you are experiencing an electrical problem, the electricians at Apollo Home can help. Call them today.
"Ernie & Mike did a superb job on my new furnace and A/C installation. Despite having more than a day’s work to do, they came in and stayed until the job was done. They were organized, efficient, and protected the rest of the house well. Got both furnace and A/C installed the same day. Ernie was courteous, informative, and clearly knew his job better than anyone I’ve encountered before. The units look so good guests now get The Tour of our new system. Apollo is clearly not a fly-by-night company. I would recommend them to anyone in need of a new furnace and/or A/C."
- Jerry A.
"I called Apollo because of a water leak I thought I had in our upstairs shower going into the kitchen. Robbie came and assured me everything was fine & looked at all the other plumbing. He ended up changing a few pipes for our washer & clearing a drain. He was very nice & knowledgeable with all my questions. I ended up signing up for the care plan & was very happy with my service."
- Cassandra B.
"The team at Apollo exceeded my expectations. As a business owner, my attention to the details and commitment to providing excellent service is high. From the sales rep. to the installation team, everyone’s performance was outstanding. For example, the installation team went to great lengths to protect our floors, placing floor runners and across the wood floors and up the stairs. They even were spot washing walls upon their departure. I highly recommend this company."
- Randy B.
"We scheduled an estimate AND a tune-up. We knew something was wrong with our furnace, but hoped we could make it through the rest of the season. Upon telling Bill what our furnace was doing, he warned us immediately what the possible outcome was going to be; a cracked heat exchanger. He watched the flames roll backward, tested carbon monoxide levels, which were so high they meter’s last reading was 5,600 before saying “high”. He immediately shut it down, tagged it, and explained that with levels that high and children in our home he wanted off right away. He continued his inspection and showed us via a camera that not only was it cracked in multiple places, but had holes all over it. He gave us a few options for repairing it; his knowledge as well as genuine concern was beneficial and refreshing. Luckily we also scheduled an estimator, Micah, to come too and we were able to get costs between repairing and replacing (with several options). We decided to replace with a much higher efficiency furnace and one sized properly to our home. Hands down, not only did they both provide us great service and knowledge, but without sounding dramatic, they may have saved our lives. This was our first time calling Apollo, but it won’t be our last."
- Sarah B.
"Apollo is an excellent company. I always receive great service. Alex A. was professional and friendly. He kept me informed during the process of checking my furnace and heat pump to make sure they were working properly. The company makes sure you are notified who is coming and when they are on the way. All my interactions with the company have been wonderful."
- Beverly S.