You’ve likely heard of carbon monoxide poisoning but you may not think about it actually happening to your loved ones. Even if you’ve responsibly owned a carbon monoxide detector and check to make sure the batteries are good, have you ever really thought about what in your home can cause carbon monoxide poisoning and ways to prevent it?

Carbon monoxide is a colorless, odorless gas that in large quantities can cause death. Most carbon monoxide detectors only sound the alarm when there is a high level of carbon monoxide in the air but even a small leak leading to low levels can still leave you and your family with headaches, fatigue, and nausea and for those with a heart condition, chest pain. By taking preventative measures with your HVAC system you can significantly decrease your chances of having a carbon monoxide leak in your home. Because so many carbon monoxide leaks come from heating systems and ventilation problems, your HVAC service company is perfectly positioned to counsel you on prevention. 

First, the best protection from carbon monoxide is the proper number of CO detectors installed at the right places in the home. That means one on each level of the house plus one inside or directly outside every bedroom. Home heating systems represent only five percent of potential carbon monoxide sources. Though the amount of carbon monoxide produced may not be substantial, it is important to schedule annual maintenance visits by a qualified technician to check all combustion appliances are operating properly and all chimneys and vents are free from obstruction.   

Secondly, schedule regular maintenance checks of your HVAC system. At least once per year, ideally before the start of the heating season starts, have your furnace, vents, chimneys, fireplaces and any fuel-burning appliances inspected by a qualified professional. Best case, establish a relationship with an HVAC service company with a preventative maintenance contract; these contracts make maintenance convenient.

Finally, clean vents and flues. Blocked vents or flues can be a common cause for carbon monoxide leaks. The ventilation system is designed to move these toxic and deadly gases out of your home but if the vents are blocked they have nowhere to go but back into your home. When you bring in a certified HVAC service company, a trained professional will make sure your equipment is safe, clean and in good working order. If it turns out that repairs are needed to make it safe, you implement them at your convenience instead of an emergency basis.

For more advice about recognizing the early symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning and technology to protect your family from the consequences, contact the professionals at Apollo Home Heating, Cooling, Electrical and Plumbing today.

"Ernie & Mike did a superb job on my new furnace and A/C installation. Despite having more than a day’s work to do, they came in and stayed until the job was done. They were organized, efficient, and protected the rest of the house well. Got both furnace and A/C installed the same day. Ernie was courteous, informative, and clearly knew his job better than anyone I’ve encountered before. The units look so good guests now get The Tour of our new system. Apollo is clearly not a fly-by-night company. I would recommend them to anyone in need of a new furnace and/or A/C."
- Jerry A.
"I called Apollo because of a water leak I thought I had in our upstairs shower going into the kitchen. Robbie came and assured me everything was fine & looked at all the other plumbing. He ended up changing a few pipes for our washer & clearing a drain. He was very nice & knowledgeable with all my questions. I ended up signing up for the care plan & was very happy with my service."
- Cassandra B.
"The team at Apollo exceeded my expectations. As a business owner, my attention to the details and commitment to providing excellent service is high. From the sales rep. to the installation team, everyone’s performance was outstanding. For example, the installation team went to great lengths to protect our floors, placing floor runners and across the wood floors and up the stairs. They even were spot washing walls upon their departure. I highly recommend this company."
- Randy B.
"We scheduled an estimate AND a tune-up. We knew something was wrong with our furnace, but hoped we could make it through the rest of the season. Upon telling Bill what our furnace was doing, he warned us immediately what the possible outcome was going to be; a cracked heat exchanger. He watched the flames roll backward, tested carbon monoxide levels, which were so high they meter’s last reading was 5,600 before saying “high”. He immediately shut it down, tagged it, and explained that with levels that high and children in our home he wanted off right away. He continued his inspection and showed us via a camera that not only was it cracked in multiple places, but had holes all over it. He gave us a few options for repairing it; his knowledge as well as genuine concern was beneficial and refreshing. Luckily we also scheduled an estimator, Micah, to come too and we were able to get costs between repairing and replacing (with several options). We decided to replace with a much higher efficiency furnace and one sized properly to our home. Hands down, not only did they both provide us great service and knowledge, but without sounding dramatic, they may have saved our lives. This was our first time calling Apollo, but it won’t be our last."
- Sarah B.
"Apollo is an excellent company. I always receive great service. Alex A. was professional and friendly. He kept me informed during the process of checking my furnace and heat pump to make sure they were working properly. The company makes sure you are notified who is coming and when they are on the way. All my interactions with the company have been wonderful."
- Beverly S.
    Image

    Financing

    Image

    Apollo Care Plan