Is air leaking into your house and not keeping it as warm as possible? Even a well insulated house will not be energy efficient if it is not air tight. Air leaking in and out of your home causes you to lose money on your monthly energy bills. It also causes you to compromise the comfort levels of your living space. In addition, a well-sealed home prevents dust and moisture from coming in which can cause mold and other complications.
Air leakage can occur in several areas throughout your house including:
- Around doors and windows
- Around air conditioning and heating units
- Through mail slots or animal portals in doors
- Around cable lines
- Through fire places and chimneys
- Through cracks in the foundation
- Through garage doors
So, how can you improve the air leaking into your house?
- Check doors and windows to make sure they are sized properly. Over time, with regular use, gaps can widen and old seals can wear away. In addition, changes in temperature and the amount of moisture in the soil can cause the foundation of your home to shift, creating new gaps and cracks in walls, windows and doors. Installing insulated or storm doors and windows will prevent leaks.
- Improve caulking and weather stripping. Use caulk or weather stripping to seal openings anywhere you see a crack or feel a draft. Holding a lit match around potential spots of leakage will help you determine where you need to seal off openings. If the flame moves, you will know that air is coming in and out.
- However, before caulking or installing weather stripping anywhere in your home, it is a good idea to seek the guidance of a professional contractor, like us. There are various types of materials that can be used and some are difficult to install properly. If it is determined that you can do it yourself, always be sure to clean the area thoroughly before you begin and completely remove all old caulk and weather stripping.
A drafty home is not a comfortable home. Make your house air tight for increased comfort, while saving energy and money at the same time!
"Ernie & Mike did a superb job on my new furnace and A/C installation. Despite having more than a day’s work to do, they came in and stayed until the job was done. They were organized, efficient, and protected the rest of the house well. Got both furnace and A/C installed the same day. Ernie was courteous, informative, and clearly knew his job better than anyone I’ve encountered before. The units look so good guests now get The Tour of our new system. Apollo is clearly not a fly-by-night company. I would recommend them to anyone in need of a new furnace and/or A/C."
- Jerry A.
"I called Apollo because of a water leak I thought I had in our upstairs shower going into the kitchen. Robbie came and assured me everything was fine & looked at all the other plumbing. He ended up changing a few pipes for our washer & clearing a drain. He was very nice & knowledgeable with all my questions. I ended up signing up for the care plan & was very happy with my service."
- Cassandra B.
"The team at Apollo exceeded my expectations. As a business owner, my attention to the details and commitment to providing excellent service is high. From the sales rep. to the installation team, everyone’s performance was outstanding. For example, the installation team went to great lengths to protect our floors, placing floor runners and across the wood floors and up the stairs. They even were spot washing walls upon their departure. I highly recommend this company."
- Randy B.
"We scheduled an estimate AND a tune-up. We knew something was wrong with our furnace, but hoped we could make it through the rest of the season. Upon telling Bill what our furnace was doing, he warned us immediately what the possible outcome was going to be; a cracked heat exchanger. He watched the flames roll backward, tested carbon monoxide levels, which were so high they meter’s last reading was 5,600 before saying “high”. He immediately shut it down, tagged it, and explained that with levels that high and children in our home he wanted off right away. He continued his inspection and showed us via a camera that not only was it cracked in multiple places, but had holes all over it. He gave us a few options for repairing it; his knowledge as well as genuine concern was beneficial and refreshing. Luckily we also scheduled an estimator, Micah, to come too and we were able to get costs between repairing and replacing (with several options). We decided to replace with a much higher efficiency furnace and one sized properly to our home. Hands down, not only did they both provide us great service and knowledge, but without sounding dramatic, they may have saved our lives. This was our first time calling Apollo, but it won’t be our last."
- Sarah B.
"Apollo is an excellent company. I always receive great service. Alex A. was professional and friendly. He kept me informed during the process of checking my furnace and heat pump to make sure they were working properly. The company makes sure you are notified who is coming and when they are on the way. All my interactions with the company have been wonderful."
- Beverly S.