Installing Rain Gutters: Some Guidelines
The Greater Cincinnati area is blessed with four distinct seasons (something that folks in Arizona or Alaska may envy), and spring brings rain. Rain may have you considering a typical spring maintenance chore, such as repairing or installing rain gutters on your Cincinnati-area home. While it is work that a skilled and crafty homeowner can do, you may opt for professional installation once you know what is involved in installing gutters.
Why Rain Gutters Are ImportantMost houses already have gutter systems, but if your Cincinnati-area home lacks well-installed, reliable gutters, you are risking some structural problems:
- Weakened foundation
- Water infiltration
- Reduced indoor air quality
- Mold and mildew growth in basement or crawlspace
- Fascia boards around roof edge can rot
Installing Rain Gutters YourselfYou may find installing rain gutters on your Cincinnati-area home beyond your abilities. Consider hiring a professional, with the right equipment and a large enough crew to quickly attach gutters, downspouts and leaders. If you do insist on doing it yourself, here are some helpful pointers:
- Gutters must slope from one end down toward the downspout. Anything from ¼ inch per 10 feet up to ½ inch per 15 feet is suitable.
- Gutter width depends on your roof’s square footage. Bigger roof? Wider gutters. Otherwise, water overshoots the gutter.
- Gutters must be attached at least every three feet; closer if the gutter will endure heavy usage.
- Downspouts must be firmly attached to your home; leaders must direct water well away from foundations.
“Apollo is an excellent company. I always receive great service. Alex A. was professional and friendly. He kept...”
“We scheduled an estimate AND a tune-up. We knew something was wrong with our furnace, but hoped we could make ...”
“The team at Apollo exceeded my expectations. As a business owner, my attention to the details and commitment t...”
“I called Apollo because of a water leak I thought I had in our upstairs shower going into the kitchen. Robbie ...”
“Ernie & Mike did a superb job on my new furnace and A/C installation. Despite having more than a day’s w...”
Peace of Mind
On Time Service
JOIN OUR TEAM