The heating and cooling industry has a lot of verbiage, and while some of these HVAC terms apply only to professionals, others are important for homeowners to know and understand. These HVAC terms cover operations within your HVAC unit, as well as terms a repair service might mention after inspecting your unit.
- SEER 13 – A seasonal energy efficiency ratio of 13 is the minimum efficiency standard for air conditioners and heat pumps. All HVAC units sold must meet this standard. SEER is the measurement of how efficient your unit is at cooling the air.
- Blower fan – A blower fan moves air from your return duct and pushes it over the coil or heat exchanger of your unit. Air is circulated and then cooled or heated before it’s sent through the supply duct and back into your home.
- British thermal unit, or BTU – Heating and air conditioner capacity is measured in BTUs. One British Thermal Unit is the amount of heat it takes to increase the temperature of one pound of water just one degree.
- Compressor – This is the term for the outdoor unit you find on a split-system air conditioner. The compressor adds pressure to the refrigerant so that it flows through your HVAC system.
- Dampers – These devices alter which way air flows through your home’s ducts. Dampers are usually controlled automatically by your system.
- Ducts – Ductwork is the system of tubes made from sheet metal, flexible plastic or fiberglass that carry the air through your home from your HVAC system.
- Forced air HVAC system – This is the term for any type of HVAC system that has a fan blowing conditioned air through the ducts or air channels.
- Heat exchanger – A heat exchanger transfers heat from burning fuel in your furnace to the air that’s used to heat your home.
- HEPA filter – High efficiency particulate air filters are effective at removing irritants from the air and keeping them from inside your home.
If you have questions or concerns about these HVAC terms, or for answers to other home comfort questions, contact our Cincinnati team at Apollo Home Heating, Cooling and Plumbing today.
Image via Shutterstock.com
"Ernie & Mike did a superb job on my new furnace and A/C installation. Despite having more than a day’s work to do, they came in and stayed until the job was done. They were organized, efficient, and protected the rest of the house well. Got both furnace and A/C installed the same day. Ernie was courteous, informative, and clearly knew his job better than anyone I’ve encountered before. The units look so good guests now get The Tour of our new system. Apollo is clearly not a fly-by-night company. I would recommend them to anyone in need of a new furnace and/or A/C."
- Jerry A.
"I called Apollo because of a water leak I thought I had in our upstairs shower going into the kitchen. Robbie came and assured me everything was fine & looked at all the other plumbing. He ended up changing a few pipes for our washer & clearing a drain. He was very nice & knowledgeable with all my questions. I ended up signing up for the care plan & was very happy with my service."
- Cassandra B.
"The team at Apollo exceeded my expectations. As a business owner, my attention to the details and commitment to providing excellent service is high. From the sales rep. to the installation team, everyone’s performance was outstanding. For example, the installation team went to great lengths to protect our floors, placing floor runners and across the wood floors and up the stairs. They even were spot washing walls upon their departure. I highly recommend this company."
- Randy B.
"We scheduled an estimate AND a tune-up. We knew something was wrong with our furnace, but hoped we could make it through the rest of the season. Upon telling Bill what our furnace was doing, he warned us immediately what the possible outcome was going to be; a cracked heat exchanger. He watched the flames roll backward, tested carbon monoxide levels, which were so high they meter’s last reading was 5,600 before saying “high”. He immediately shut it down, tagged it, and explained that with levels that high and children in our home he wanted off right away. He continued his inspection and showed us via a camera that not only was it cracked in multiple places, but had holes all over it. He gave us a few options for repairing it; his knowledge as well as genuine concern was beneficial and refreshing. Luckily we also scheduled an estimator, Micah, to come too and we were able to get costs between repairing and replacing (with several options). We decided to replace with a much higher efficiency furnace and one sized properly to our home. Hands down, not only did they both provide us great service and knowledge, but without sounding dramatic, they may have saved our lives. This was our first time calling Apollo, but it won’t be our last."
- Sarah B.
"Apollo is an excellent company. I always receive great service. Alex A. was professional and friendly. He kept me informed during the process of checking my furnace and heat pump to make sure they were working properly. The company makes sure you are notified who is coming and when they are on the way. All my interactions with the company have been wonderful."
- Beverly S.