How to Determine If It’s Time for HVAC System Repair or Replacement
An HVAC system repair or replacement decision isn’t always an easy one to make. You may want to squeeze a few more years out of your current system, but you understand the financial risks. So, if you’re in a repair or replace dilemma with a cooling or heating system, you’re on the right page to get answers to questions.
The Case to RepairThere are many factors to consider for repairing an HVAC system, and each factor may be different for each homeowner. For instance, if you’re facing an A/C repair, you may want to consider the size of your household and how often you use the cooling system. If you’re looking at a furnace repair, consider the maintenance history and, before the breakdown, did it get the job done. Following is a short list of when it may be better to repair:
- It’s a simple repair, and you can make practical home efficiency upgrades to lighten the load, save energy and boost comfort.
- The HVAC system has performed well and repairs are rare.
- The air conditioner is less than 10 years old, or the furnace is less than 15 years old.
The Case to ReplaceWith higher SEER and AFUE requirements in recent years, a new HVAC system offers substantial energy savings, and you’ll enjoy greater comfort with better performance features. Following are a few more considerations:
- If you plan to stay in your home for several years, take advantage of energy savings and superior comfort now.
- Is your home overly humid during summer? A new A/C is better at reducing indoor moisture.
- New heating systems are safer than ever with features such as sealed combustion and sidewall venting.