High Energy Bills? Drive Air Conditioning Efficiency Up With These 5 Tips
We can’t lower the temperature outside, so boosting air conditioning efficiency inside is the best strategy to deal with high energy bills.
When it comes to air conditioning, little things can make a big difference in both energy savings and home comfort. And those improvements can shrink your carbon footprint and benefit the environment. Make sure you’re getting the efficiency your air conditioner was designed to provide, and lower your energy bills by following these five tips:
- Change the filter monthly: More than any other single factor, low airflow substantially affects efficiency and comfort. A dirty or clogged air filter also contaminates your indoor air quality and increases wear and tear on system components.
- Schedule regular service with an HVAC contractor: Coils require professional maintenance. The indoor evaporator coil extracts heat and humidity from the air in your home. A dirty coil does a less efficient job. Dirt buildup also promotes mold growth and ice formation.The condenser coil outside should be cleaned, and debris such as leaves and grass clippings need to be removed. Cut back weeds and other vegetation to provide at least 2 feet of space around the unit for proper airflow.
- Be smart when it comes to your thermostat: The efficiency sweet spot for most central air conditioners is around 78 degrees. Set the thermostat there, and leave it. Avoid pushing the thermostat way down to cool your home fast. For optimal efficiency, install a programmable thermostat.
- Shade the windows: Much heat entering your home in the summer is infrared energy in the form of sunlight. Drawing curtains and pulling down the shades to absorb or block the sunlight prevents accumulation of heat energy in your home.
- Use ceiling fans wisely: Ceiling fans create a wind-chill effect that can make you feel comfortable even when the thermostat’s turned up a few degrees. An air conditioned room with a ceiling fan feels about 4 degrees cooler. You’ll be just as comfortable, and you’ll save money.
For more than a century, Apollo Home Heating Cooling & Plumbing has provided Cincinnati area residents with all-season comfort and efficiency. Contact us for more tips that will drive up the efficiency of your air conditioning.
Image via Shutterstock.com
"Ernie & Mike did a superb job on my new furnace and A/C installation. Despite having more than a day’s work to do, they came in and stayed until the job was done. They were organized, efficient, and protected the rest of the house well. Got both furnace and A/C installed the same day. Ernie was courteous, informative, and clearly knew his job better than anyone I’ve encountered before. The units look so good guests now get The Tour of our new system. Apollo is clearly not a fly-by-night company. I would recommend them to anyone in need of a new furnace and/or A/C."
- Jerry A.
"I called Apollo because of a water leak I thought I had in our upstairs shower going into the kitchen. Robbie came and assured me everything was fine & looked at all the other plumbing. He ended up changing a few pipes for our washer & clearing a drain. He was very nice & knowledgeable with all my questions. I ended up signing up for the care plan & was very happy with my service."
- Cassandra B.
"The team at Apollo exceeded my expectations. As a business owner, my attention to the details and commitment to providing excellent service is high. From the sales rep. to the installation team, everyone’s performance was outstanding. For example, the installation team went to great lengths to protect our floors, placing floor runners and across the wood floors and up the stairs. They even were spot washing walls upon their departure. I highly recommend this company."
- Randy B.
"We scheduled an estimate AND a tune-up. We knew something was wrong with our furnace, but hoped we could make it through the rest of the season. Upon telling Bill what our furnace was doing, he warned us immediately what the possible outcome was going to be; a cracked heat exchanger. He watched the flames roll backward, tested carbon monoxide levels, which were so high they meter’s last reading was 5,600 before saying “high”. He immediately shut it down, tagged it, and explained that with levels that high and children in our home he wanted off right away. He continued his inspection and showed us via a camera that not only was it cracked in multiple places, but had holes all over it. He gave us a few options for repairing it; his knowledge as well as genuine concern was beneficial and refreshing. Luckily we also scheduled an estimator, Micah, to come too and we were able to get costs between repairing and replacing (with several options). We decided to replace with a much higher efficiency furnace and one sized properly to our home. Hands down, not only did they both provide us great service and knowledge, but without sounding dramatic, they may have saved our lives. This was our first time calling Apollo, but it won’t be our last."
- Sarah B.
"Apollo is an excellent company. I always receive great service. Alex A. was professional and friendly. He kept me informed during the process of checking my furnace and heat pump to make sure they were working properly. The company makes sure you are notified who is coming and when they are on the way. All my interactions with the company have been wonderful."
- Beverly S.