Assuring senior safety in the home is one of the most important steps you can take to protect residents of all ages. Aging in place allows residents to stay at home and enjoy financial and emotional benefits, plus it’s entirely possible with a few improvements completed by an experienced and licensed professional.
Ensure Senior Safety in the Home
Kitchens and bathrooms need the most attention since they pose hazards associated with falling and burns, but there are safety improvements to consider throughout the home:
- Converting a bathtub to a shower will greatly improve senior safety in the home because entering and exiting a tub can be dangerous. Conversion kits include shower pans only or tubs that have a water-tight door on them, giving the resident a choice between showering and bathing.
- Anti-scald plumbing fixtures prevent burns in both kitchens and bathrooms, as does turning the water heater down to 120 degrees or lower.
- Changing knob plumbing fixtures to lever hardware makes it easier to control water flow and temperature.
- Many types of ceramic tile floors can be exceptionally slippery when wet and represent a major senior safety issue in the home. Placing anti-skid strips or decals will provide the traction needed to avoid slips and falls.
- Handrails and grab bars in the bathrooms are essential improvements that need to be installed carefully since they’ll need to support one’s full body weight.
- A thermostat with a large digital display will help a senior manage indoor temperatures year-round. A smart thermostat can provide peace of mind since it can be monitored and changed anywhere.
- Access to upper and lower levels of the home is much easier with stair lifts or, if there’s room, elevators. Besides curing a major safety issue, motorized transport reduces the exertion caused by everyday movements throughout the home.
- Moving the receptacles or outlets higher on the wall simplifies life, as does changing the switches to rockers.
The handyman professionals at Apollo Home Heating, Cooling and Plumbing can help you with senior safety in the home. We’ve provided top-notch services for homeowners in the greater Cincinnati area since 1910.
Image via Shutterstock.com
"Ernie & Mike did a superb job on my new furnace and A/C installation. Despite having more than a day’s work to do, they came in and stayed until the job was done. They were organized, efficient, and protected the rest of the house well. Got both furnace and A/C installed the same day. Ernie was courteous, informative, and clearly knew his job better than anyone I’ve encountered before. The units look so good guests now get The Tour of our new system. Apollo is clearly not a fly-by-night company. I would recommend them to anyone in need of a new furnace and/or A/C."
- Jerry A.
"I called Apollo because of a water leak I thought I had in our upstairs shower going into the kitchen. Robbie came and assured me everything was fine & looked at all the other plumbing. He ended up changing a few pipes for our washer & clearing a drain. He was very nice & knowledgeable with all my questions. I ended up signing up for the care plan & was very happy with my service."
- Cassandra B.
"The team at Apollo exceeded my expectations. As a business owner, my attention to the details and commitment to providing excellent service is high. From the sales rep. to the installation team, everyone’s performance was outstanding. For example, the installation team went to great lengths to protect our floors, placing floor runners and across the wood floors and up the stairs. They even were spot washing walls upon their departure. I highly recommend this company."
- Randy B.
"We scheduled an estimate AND a tune-up. We knew something was wrong with our furnace, but hoped we could make it through the rest of the season. Upon telling Bill what our furnace was doing, he warned us immediately what the possible outcome was going to be; a cracked heat exchanger. He watched the flames roll backward, tested carbon monoxide levels, which were so high they meter’s last reading was 5,600 before saying “high”. He immediately shut it down, tagged it, and explained that with levels that high and children in our home he wanted off right away. He continued his inspection and showed us via a camera that not only was it cracked in multiple places, but had holes all over it. He gave us a few options for repairing it; his knowledge as well as genuine concern was beneficial and refreshing. Luckily we also scheduled an estimator, Micah, to come too and we were able to get costs between repairing and replacing (with several options). We decided to replace with a much higher efficiency furnace and one sized properly to our home. Hands down, not only did they both provide us great service and knowledge, but without sounding dramatic, they may have saved our lives. This was our first time calling Apollo, but it won’t be our last."
- Sarah B.
"Apollo is an excellent company. I always receive great service. Alex A. was professional and friendly. He kept me informed during the process of checking my furnace and heat pump to make sure they were working properly. The company makes sure you are notified who is coming and when they are on the way. All my interactions with the company have been wonderful."
- Beverly S.