Air Sealing Your Cincinnati Home Keeps the Cool In and the Heat Out
Air leaks are one of the most common causes of energy loss in a home, but they often go unnoticed and are left to wreak havoc. This can end up being costly issue that goes beyond increased monthly utility expenses if not dealt with. While those cracks, holes and gaps are bound to happen in any home as it ages, there are air sealing steps you can take to help remedy the problem.
Why Air Sealing Is So ImportantWhen there are air leaks in your Cincy home, conditioned air escapes outdoors while allowing outside air inside. This kind of waste can definitely hurt your wallet, but it can also put unnecessary strain on the HVAC system, potentially leading to breakdowns and early system failure. Leaks can also cause drafts that make it feel less comfortable in your home. Air sealing is a relatively inexpensive and easy home project to do that can result in huge energy and money savings. Weatherstripping is used to close leaks around moveable features in your home, such as doors and windows, while caulking is normally used on the stationary parts, like around a door frame.
Air Sealing Tips
- Detect air leaks with a simple test. When it’s windy outside, hold a smoke pen or incense stick that’s lit up to doors, windows, electrical outlets, plumbing fixtures and any other area where air may escape. If the smoke flows sideways, you’ve found a leak.
- Clean and thoroughly dry the area to be treated before starting.
- Apply caulking in one continuous stream.
- Let go of the caulking gun trigger before pulling away.
- Keep weatherstripping in one piece and make sure it’s snugly in place when installing.
- Measure the area to be weatherstripped twice before cutting off a section to install.
“Apollo is an excellent company. I always receive great service. Alex A. was professional and friendly. He kept...”
“We scheduled an estimate AND a tune-up. We knew something was wrong with our furnace, but hoped we could make ...”
“The team at Apollo exceeded my expectations. As a business owner, my attention to the details and commitment t...”
“I called Apollo because of a water leak I thought I had in our upstairs shower going into the kitchen. Robbie ...”
“Ernie & Mike did a superb job on my new furnace and A/C installation. Despite having more than a day’s w...”
Peace of Mind
On Time Service
JOIN OUR TEAM