Advanced Features Give Heat Pumps Some Major Advantages
When it’s time to replace the HVAC equipment in your home, it pays to look at the advances made in heat pump technology. The features available on today’s heat pumps offer greater comfort, enhanced energy efficiency and longer equipment life.
Innovative Heat Pump Features That Bring Big Benefits
- Two-speed compressors. Older heat pumps have single-stage compressors that operate on high whenever they cycle on. Two-speed compressors slash energy consumption by running on low and ramping up to high speed only when it’s needed. This helps reduce wear and tear on the equipment too, which extends its expected life span.
- Scroll compressors. These units use an entirely different technology than traditional piston compressors. In comparison, they can produce air that’s 10 to 15 degrees warmer in heating mode, plus they’re quieter. Another advantage is that since there are fewer moving parts, scroll compressors don’t wear out as quickly.
- Dual- or variable-speed fan motors. Heat pumps that have more than one speed on the outdoor compressor fan and indoor blower motors can provide greater comfort and energy savings. Dual- or variable-speed fans adjust to match the changing heating and cooling needs in a home and can reduce cool drafts. Since they often operate on low, there’s less noise when the equipment is running.
- Desuperheaters. A desuperheater is an extra heat exchanger that takes the heat that normally goes to waste during the cooling cycle and puts it to good use heating the home’s hot water supply. Compared to an electric water heater, these units are two to three times more efficient.
- Combustion backup heating. Instead of relying on electric resistance heaters that are expensive to operate, heat pumps can now be equipped with a combustion fuel burner. Whether it burns natural gas, propane, wood or heating oil, a supplemental burner can reduce reliance on electricity on days when the outdoor temperature dips below the balance point.
Contact us today at Apollo Home Heating, Cooling and Plumbing to learn more and take advantage of these and other advanced heat pump features in your Cincinnati area home.
Image via shutterstock.com
"Ernie & Mike did a superb job on my new furnace and A/C installation. Despite having more than a day’s work to do, they came in and stayed until the job was done. They were organized, efficient, and protected the rest of the house well. Got both furnace and A/C installed the same day. Ernie was courteous, informative, and clearly knew his job better than anyone I’ve encountered before. The units look so good guests now get The Tour of our new system. Apollo is clearly not a fly-by-night company. I would recommend them to anyone in need of a new furnace and/or A/C."
- Jerry A.
"I called Apollo because of a water leak I thought I had in our upstairs shower going into the kitchen. Robbie came and assured me everything was fine & looked at all the other plumbing. He ended up changing a few pipes for our washer & clearing a drain. He was very nice & knowledgeable with all my questions. I ended up signing up for the care plan & was very happy with my service."
- Cassandra B.
"The team at Apollo exceeded my expectations. As a business owner, my attention to the details and commitment to providing excellent service is high. From the sales rep. to the installation team, everyone’s performance was outstanding. For example, the installation team went to great lengths to protect our floors, placing floor runners and across the wood floors and up the stairs. They even were spot washing walls upon their departure. I highly recommend this company."
- Randy B.
"We scheduled an estimate AND a tune-up. We knew something was wrong with our furnace, but hoped we could make it through the rest of the season. Upon telling Bill what our furnace was doing, he warned us immediately what the possible outcome was going to be; a cracked heat exchanger. He watched the flames roll backward, tested carbon monoxide levels, which were so high they meter’s last reading was 5,600 before saying “high”. He immediately shut it down, tagged it, and explained that with levels that high and children in our home he wanted off right away. He continued his inspection and showed us via a camera that not only was it cracked in multiple places, but had holes all over it. He gave us a few options for repairing it; his knowledge as well as genuine concern was beneficial and refreshing. Luckily we also scheduled an estimator, Micah, to come too and we were able to get costs between repairing and replacing (with several options). We decided to replace with a much higher efficiency furnace and one sized properly to our home. Hands down, not only did they both provide us great service and knowledge, but without sounding dramatic, they may have saved our lives. This was our first time calling Apollo, but it won’t be our last."
- Sarah B.
"Apollo is an excellent company. I always receive great service. Alex A. was professional and friendly. He kept me informed during the process of checking my furnace and heat pump to make sure they were working properly. The company makes sure you are notified who is coming and when they are on the way. All my interactions with the company have been wonderful."
- Beverly S.