7 Water Issues That Could Plague Your Cincinnati Home and How to Manage Them
The water flowing out of your plumbing fixtures should be clear and free of contaminants, and it should have a neutral taste and smell. If the water coming into your home isn’t clear or if it has a funky taste or odor, you probably have water issues.
Common Home Water Issues
Here are seven common home water issues and how to manage them:
- Hard water comes from high levels of calcium and magnesium. It shows up as lime scale on the plumbing. You need to install a water softening appliance filled with a sodium solution that neutralizes the calcium and magnesium.
- Iron and manganese occur naturally in some groundwater, and they can lend a rusty appearance to water or leave rust stains behind. A water softener fitted with an iron remover can decrease the presence of both iron and manganese.
- Hydrogen sulfide will give water the smell of rotten eggs or sulfur. To remove hydrogen sulfide, install a multi-stage system that chlorinates, filters sediment, aerates, and neutralizes the taste and smell.
- Bad taste and odor in the water comes from two sources: decaying organic matter or a leak from the sewer or septic system. Activated carbon filters can manage the decaying organic matter. You need a plumber to verify that it is not a leak in your sewage system.
- Sediment is usually fine particulates of scale, clay, sand, dirt, rust or organic material floating in the water. A sediment filter can capture most particulates. For fine sand, you need an agraclear filter.
- Bacterial contamination isn’t common in drinking water, but if it’s present, you need to do two things. Install a disinfectant system like chlorination to kill off the bacteria, then find the source of the contamination and eliminate it.
- Lead mainly occurs in older homes where lead solder was used to join copper pipes. Adding a filtration or reverse osmosis system will remove the lead from the water. Have a professional analyze the water and remove any lead solder or piping in your home.
If you’re having home water issues, contact the experts at Apollo Home Heating, Cooling and Plumbing to schedule an appointment!
Image via Shutterstock.com
"Ernie & Mike did a superb job on my new furnace and A/C installation. Despite having more than a day’s work to do, they came in and stayed until the job was done. They were organized, efficient, and protected the rest of the house well. Got both furnace and A/C installed the same day. Ernie was courteous, informative, and clearly knew his job better than anyone I’ve encountered before. The units look so good guests now get The Tour of our new system. Apollo is clearly not a fly-by-night company. I would recommend them to anyone in need of a new furnace and/or A/C."
- Jerry A.
"I called Apollo because of a water leak I thought I had in our upstairs shower going into the kitchen. Robbie came and assured me everything was fine & looked at all the other plumbing. He ended up changing a few pipes for our washer & clearing a drain. He was very nice & knowledgeable with all my questions. I ended up signing up for the care plan & was very happy with my service."
- Cassandra B.
"The team at Apollo exceeded my expectations. As a business owner, my attention to the details and commitment to providing excellent service is high. From the sales rep. to the installation team, everyone’s performance was outstanding. For example, the installation team went to great lengths to protect our floors, placing floor runners and across the wood floors and up the stairs. They even were spot washing walls upon their departure. I highly recommend this company."
- Randy B.
"We scheduled an estimate AND a tune-up. We knew something was wrong with our furnace, but hoped we could make it through the rest of the season. Upon telling Bill what our furnace was doing, he warned us immediately what the possible outcome was going to be; a cracked heat exchanger. He watched the flames roll backward, tested carbon monoxide levels, which were so high they meter’s last reading was 5,600 before saying “high”. He immediately shut it down, tagged it, and explained that with levels that high and children in our home he wanted off right away. He continued his inspection and showed us via a camera that not only was it cracked in multiple places, but had holes all over it. He gave us a few options for repairing it; his knowledge as well as genuine concern was beneficial and refreshing. Luckily we also scheduled an estimator, Micah, to come too and we were able to get costs between repairing and replacing (with several options). We decided to replace with a much higher efficiency furnace and one sized properly to our home. Hands down, not only did they both provide us great service and knowledge, but without sounding dramatic, they may have saved our lives. This was our first time calling Apollo, but it won’t be our last."
- Sarah B.
"Apollo is an excellent company. I always receive great service. Alex A. was professional and friendly. He kept me informed during the process of checking my furnace and heat pump to make sure they were working properly. The company makes sure you are notified who is coming and when they are on the way. All my interactions with the company have been wonderful."
- Beverly S.