Troubleshooting Toilet Problems: Know When To Call The Pros | Blog
The toilets in our homes are hard-working and sturdy. Generally, we don’t give them much thought — until they stop working. Then they command our full attention.
Simple problems, such as a minor clog or a chain that keeps getting caught under the flapper, are relatively easy to troubleshoot. But here are some other issues that might necessitate calling the pros:
Float valve problems
- Water flows into the overflow tube in the back of the tank.
- Tank refills very slowly.
- Water leaks or sprays from around the float valve cap or plunger.
Flush-valve assembly, flush-valve seal, tank ball or flapper problems
- Water levels in the tank drop without the toilet being used, suggesting a leak.
- Water in the tank keeps running.
- Water continuously runs into the bowl.
- Your water bills are rising for no apparent reason.
Leaks at the base of the toilet
- Collar holding tank to floor could be cracked or worn.
- Wax sealing ring, caulking or other seal at bottom of toilet may be broken.
- Close-couple connection between tank and toilet may be leaking.
- Cavity under the bowl is cracked or leaking.
Weak flush power:
- Scale, crystals or minerals have built up in the rim jets or main flushing jet.
In most cases, hiring a plumber is the best solution. Professional plumbers have specialized tools, training and know-how that help them locate problems and fix them quickly. They know where to find shut-off switches, how to stop leaks and how to make sure the repair doesn’t create more problems than it solves. Plumbers are familiar with:
- The different types of toilet fixtures, flushing mechanisms, water-delivery techniques and toilet styles
- How atmospheric conditions affect toilet function
- How water volume and water pressure affect the flush cycle
- How to conduct repair and preventive maintenance to keep toilets working properly
With more than 100 years of experience in the HVAC industry, Apollo Home Heating, Cooling & Plumbing is one of Cincinnati’s oldest and most trusted providers of heating, cooling and plumbing services and products. Contact us for more information, whether your issue is a plumbing problem, or you’re shopping for a new heating system. We specialize in a full range of home-comfort systems.
Image via Shutterstock.com