Considering HVAC Upgrades? Don’t Forget About the Federal 25C Tax Credits
Many home upgrades come down to timing and money: Is there a definite need and can we afford it? Now the federal government’s 25C tax credits are adding an exciting element to the decision-making process.
Offered by the U.S. Department of Energy, the 25C tax credits can line your wallet with as much as $300, as long as the high efficiency improvement is made to your primary residence.
You can apply for the 25C tax credits — so-called because the eligible products are covered in section 25C of the Internal Revenue Code — by filing Form 5695 with your taxes. Here are the terms:
- A whole-house circulating fan whose electricity consumption does not exceed 2 percent of the energy used by the furnace ($50 credit)
- An exterior window or skylight, which must meet Energy Star requirements, qualifies for 10 percent of the cost and up to $200
- An exterior door, which must conform with Energy Star standards, qualifies for 10 percent of the cost
- Insulation qualifies for 10 percent of the cost
- An electric heat pump water heater with an energy factor of at least 2.0 ($300 credit)
- An electric heat pump with a seasonal energy efficiency ratio (SEER) of at least 15, an energy efficiency ratio (EER) of at least 12.5 and a heating seasonal performance factor (HSPF) of at least 8.5 ($300 credit)
- A natural gas-, propane- or oil-fueled water heater with an energy factor of at least .82 or a thermal efficiency rating of at least 90 percent ($300 credit)
- A biomass stove with a thermal efficiency rating of at least 75 percent ($300 credit)
- A natural gas-, propane- or oil-fueled furnace or hot water boiler whose annual fuel utilization efficiency (AFUE) rating is no less than 95 percent ($150 credit)
- An asphalt roof with heat-cooling granules or a metal roof with a white coating, which must meet Energy Star requirements, qualifies for 10 percent of the cost
- A central air conditioner with a SEER rating of at least 16 and an EER of at least 13 ($300 credit)
Let Apollo Home Heating, Cooling and Plumbing help you make the most of the 25C tax credits by helping you select the right upgrade. Call us for an appointment today and start saving on energy tomorrow.
Image via Shutterstock.com
"Ernie & Mike did a superb job on my new furnace and A/C installation. Despite having more than a day’s work to do, they came in and stayed until the job was done. They were organized, efficient, and protected the rest of the house well. Got both furnace and A/C installed the same day. Ernie was courteous, informative, and clearly knew his job better than anyone I’ve encountered before. The units look so good guests now get The Tour of our new system. Apollo is clearly not a fly-by-night company. I would recommend them to anyone in need of a new furnace and/or A/C."
- Jerry A.
"I called Apollo because of a water leak I thought I had in our upstairs shower going into the kitchen. Robbie came and assured me everything was fine & looked at all the other plumbing. He ended up changing a few pipes for our washer & clearing a drain. He was very nice & knowledgeable with all my questions. I ended up signing up for the care plan & was very happy with my service."
- Cassandra B.
"The team at Apollo exceeded my expectations. As a business owner, my attention to the details and commitment to providing excellent service is high. From the sales rep. to the installation team, everyone’s performance was outstanding. For example, the installation team went to great lengths to protect our floors, placing floor runners and across the wood floors and up the stairs. They even were spot washing walls upon their departure. I highly recommend this company."
- Randy B.
"We scheduled an estimate AND a tune-up. We knew something was wrong with our furnace, but hoped we could make it through the rest of the season. Upon telling Bill what our furnace was doing, he warned us immediately what the possible outcome was going to be; a cracked heat exchanger. He watched the flames roll backward, tested carbon monoxide levels, which were so high they meter’s last reading was 5,600 before saying “high”. He immediately shut it down, tagged it, and explained that with levels that high and children in our home he wanted off right away. He continued his inspection and showed us via a camera that not only was it cracked in multiple places, but had holes all over it. He gave us a few options for repairing it; his knowledge as well as genuine concern was beneficial and refreshing. Luckily we also scheduled an estimator, Micah, to come too and we were able to get costs between repairing and replacing (with several options). We decided to replace with a much higher efficiency furnace and one sized properly to our home. Hands down, not only did they both provide us great service and knowledge, but without sounding dramatic, they may have saved our lives. This was our first time calling Apollo, but it won’t be our last."
- Sarah B.
"Apollo is an excellent company. I always receive great service. Alex A. was professional and friendly. He kept me informed during the process of checking my furnace and heat pump to make sure they were working properly. The company makes sure you are notified who is coming and when they are on the way. All my interactions with the company have been wonderful."
- Beverly S.