What’s Involved in Annual Sump Pump Maintenance?
Stay on top of sump pump maintenance so your equipment will be ready if you need it. Sump pumps often spend long periods of time idle. Concealed in a covered basin in the basement floor, a sump pump may operate intermittently when ground water rises or only in rare cases like floods or pipe ruptures.
A defective sump pump probably won’t be obvious until it fails to operate when it’s really needed. By then, basement flooding and water damage could be extreme. Routine sump pump maintenance is recommended every three to four months with a more comprehensive procedure annually.
Quarterly Maintenance Tasks
- Unplug the pump and empty the basin of any standing water.
- Remove any debris from the basin and make sure the sump pump inlet screen is clear and not obstructed.
- Plug the pump in and pour five gallons of water into the sump to verify that the float switch turns the pump on and off properly.
Annual Sump Pump Maintenance
Some of these tasks may be completed by in-the-know homeowners, but if you’re not sure about something, you’re much better off hiring a skilled professional to do it right the first time.
- Unplug the pump and remove it from the basin for evaluation. Examine for rust or corrosion. Clean the pump inlet screen.
- Check the owner’s manual to see if the pump bearings need lubrication. If so, lubricate with the recommended oil or grease. Pumps with sealed bearings will not require lubrication.
- Check the sump basin for debris and remove.
- Reinstall the pump and plug it back into the power outlet.
- Pour five gallons of water into the basin and observe the action of the float switch. Verify that it moves through its entire range of travel without binding and turns the pump on and off at the proper time.
- Outside, check the condition of the pump discharge pipe. Make sure it’s not obstructed by dirt or vegetation. Also verify that it drains fully and doesn’t contain residual water that may freeze in winter, rupturing the pipe or obstructing proper flow.
For more information or to schedule professional sump pump maintenance to protect your home from water damage this winter, contact Apollo Home Heating, Cooling and Plumbing.
Image via Shutterstock.com
"Ernie & Mike did a superb job on my new furnace and A/C installation. Despite having more than a day’s work to do, they came in and stayed until the job was done. They were organized, efficient, and protected the rest of the house well. Got both furnace and A/C installed the same day. Ernie was courteous, informative, and clearly knew his job better than anyone I’ve encountered before. The units look so good guests now get The Tour of our new system. Apollo is clearly not a fly-by-night company. I would recommend them to anyone in need of a new furnace and/or A/C."
- Jerry A.
"I called Apollo because of a water leak I thought I had in our upstairs shower going into the kitchen. Robbie came and assured me everything was fine & looked at all the other plumbing. He ended up changing a few pipes for our washer & clearing a drain. He was very nice & knowledgeable with all my questions. I ended up signing up for the care plan & was very happy with my service."
- Cassandra B.
"The team at Apollo exceeded my expectations. As a business owner, my attention to the details and commitment to providing excellent service is high. From the sales rep. to the installation team, everyone’s performance was outstanding. For example, the installation team went to great lengths to protect our floors, placing floor runners and across the wood floors and up the stairs. They even were spot washing walls upon their departure. I highly recommend this company."
- Randy B.
"We scheduled an estimate AND a tune-up. We knew something was wrong with our furnace, but hoped we could make it through the rest of the season. Upon telling Bill what our furnace was doing, he warned us immediately what the possible outcome was going to be; a cracked heat exchanger. He watched the flames roll backward, tested carbon monoxide levels, which were so high they meter’s last reading was 5,600 before saying “high”. He immediately shut it down, tagged it, and explained that with levels that high and children in our home he wanted off right away. He continued his inspection and showed us via a camera that not only was it cracked in multiple places, but had holes all over it. He gave us a few options for repairing it; his knowledge as well as genuine concern was beneficial and refreshing. Luckily we also scheduled an estimator, Micah, to come too and we were able to get costs between repairing and replacing (with several options). We decided to replace with a much higher efficiency furnace and one sized properly to our home. Hands down, not only did they both provide us great service and knowledge, but without sounding dramatic, they may have saved our lives. This was our first time calling Apollo, but it won’t be our last."
- Sarah B.
"Apollo is an excellent company. I always receive great service. Alex A. was professional and friendly. He kept me informed during the process of checking my furnace and heat pump to make sure they were working properly. The company makes sure you are notified who is coming and when they are on the way. All my interactions with the company have been wonderful."
- Beverly S.