When to Call an Electrician about Household Power Surges
A power surge occurs when voltage exceeds the normal flow of electricity. Surges differ from power spikes because the uninterrupted voltage increase lasts for more than a few seconds. Because voltage surges are unexpected and may have devastating consequences, solving power surge issues in Cincinnati is vital to the safety of your family and home.
Power Surge Causes
- Power line surges: When a utility company has problems with its transformers or lines, customers may experience a power surge. The same is true if high winds, ice storms, animals, fallen trees or car-pole crashes disrupt the electricity in power lines.
- Lightning strikes hitting homes, power lines or areas of the ground near utilities: Cloud-to-ground lightning strikes that are several miles away from your home have the potential do damage.
- Faulty or old wiring: When solving power surge issues in Cincinnati, some electricians find that appliances may cause a surge in electrical currents if a home has older or poor electrical wiring.
- Short Circuits and tripped circuit breakers: Circuits shorting in an electrical system and tripped breakers may lead to a voltage surge. When this occurs, you may need an electrician to rewire your home or a handyman service to install a new breaker box.
- Normal operation of appliances and household equipment: Normal, everyday electrical equipment tends to be the main culprit behind power surges. High-power appliances that cycle on an off—like HVAC systems, washing machines, refrigerators and pumps—are among the leading causes of voltage spikes.
At minimum, power surges damage home electronics. Without proper surge protection, a voltage spike can start a fire. Mitigate this hazard by installing a whole-house surge suppression device. Because of the risk of electrocution and the need for different surge protecting devices for communication lines, it is best to hire a professional to install a surge protector for your home.
Solving power surge issues in Cincinnati should occur before the next big storm or power outage. To learn more about our handyman services and installing whole-house surge protectors, contact Apollo Home Heating, Cooling and Plumbing at (513) 268-8400. We’ve proudly served the greater Cincinnati, Ohio, area since 1910.
"Ernie & Mike did a superb job on my new furnace and A/C installation. Despite having more than a day’s work to do, they came in and stayed until the job was done. They were organized, efficient, and protected the rest of the house well. Got both furnace and A/C installed the same day. Ernie was courteous, informative, and clearly knew his job better than anyone I’ve encountered before. The units look so good guests now get The Tour of our new system. Apollo is clearly not a fly-by-night company. I would recommend them to anyone in need of a new furnace and/or A/C."
- Jerry A.
"I called Apollo because of a water leak I thought I had in our upstairs shower going into the kitchen. Robbie came and assured me everything was fine & looked at all the other plumbing. He ended up changing a few pipes for our washer & clearing a drain. He was very nice & knowledgeable with all my questions. I ended up signing up for the care plan & was very happy with my service."
- Cassandra B.
"The team at Apollo exceeded my expectations. As a business owner, my attention to the details and commitment to providing excellent service is high. From the sales rep. to the installation team, everyone’s performance was outstanding. For example, the installation team went to great lengths to protect our floors, placing floor runners and across the wood floors and up the stairs. They even were spot washing walls upon their departure. I highly recommend this company."
- Randy B.
"We scheduled an estimate AND a tune-up. We knew something was wrong with our furnace, but hoped we could make it through the rest of the season. Upon telling Bill what our furnace was doing, he warned us immediately what the possible outcome was going to be; a cracked heat exchanger. He watched the flames roll backward, tested carbon monoxide levels, which were so high they meter’s last reading was 5,600 before saying “high”. He immediately shut it down, tagged it, and explained that with levels that high and children in our home he wanted off right away. He continued his inspection and showed us via a camera that not only was it cracked in multiple places, but had holes all over it. He gave us a few options for repairing it; his knowledge as well as genuine concern was beneficial and refreshing. Luckily we also scheduled an estimator, Micah, to come too and we were able to get costs between repairing and replacing (with several options). We decided to replace with a much higher efficiency furnace and one sized properly to our home. Hands down, not only did they both provide us great service and knowledge, but without sounding dramatic, they may have saved our lives. This was our first time calling Apollo, but it won’t be our last."
- Sarah B.
"Apollo is an excellent company. I always receive great service. Alex A. was professional and friendly. He kept me informed during the process of checking my furnace and heat pump to make sure they were working properly. The company makes sure you are notified who is coming and when they are on the way. All my interactions with the company have been wonderful."
- Beverly S.