Heating water for bathing, cooking and washing clothes using a traditional water heater makes up around 12 percent of the average homeowner’s utility budget, according to the U.S. Department of Energy.
That’s a good incentive for switching to a more energy-efficient tankless water heater, which can shave up to 30 percent off of your water heating bill. However, do you know how to get the most out of your tankless systems?
- Choose the right size. To make sure that your new water heating system can handle the demand, count the number of water outlets in your home. With this information, an HVAC professional can help you calculate what size heater you’ll need.
- Consider the minimum flow rate. Tankless water heaters have minimum flow settings to make sure that the temperature stays constant. Look for a minimum flow rate of around .5 GPM (gallons per minute) for optimal performance.
- Decide between a whole-house system and a point-of-use heater. A whole-house water heating system can heat water for multiple outlets at one time. Point-of-use heaters are less expensive and waste less water, but heat only one outlet.
- Vent your water heater. Just like a traditional gas water heater, a tankless water heater produces combustion gases, such as carbon monoxide, that need to be vented to the outside of your building to avoid having them back up into your living space.
- Curb your expectations, slightly. Though most tankless systems are marketed as having instantaneous hot water, the truth is that it takes about two seconds for the hot water to start flowing.
- Hire a licensed plumber. Tankless water heating systems are complicated and tricky to install. It’s best to leave the installation to a professional.
If you have questions about how to care for your tankless water heater or if you’d like to learn more about making the switch to a tankless system in your southwest Ohio home, call Apollo Home Heating, Cooling and Plumbing. We’ve been helping Cincinnati area homeowners with their water heating needs since 1910.
Image via Shutterstock.com
"Ernie & Mike did a superb job on my new furnace and A/C installation. Despite having more than a day’s work to do, they came in and stayed until the job was done. They were organized, efficient, and protected the rest of the house well. Got both furnace and A/C installed the same day. Ernie was courteous, informative, and clearly knew his job better than anyone I’ve encountered before. The units look so good guests now get The Tour of our new system. Apollo is clearly not a fly-by-night company. I would recommend them to anyone in need of a new furnace and/or A/C."
- Jerry A.
"I called Apollo because of a water leak I thought I had in our upstairs shower going into the kitchen. Robbie came and assured me everything was fine & looked at all the other plumbing. He ended up changing a few pipes for our washer & clearing a drain. He was very nice & knowledgeable with all my questions. I ended up signing up for the care plan & was very happy with my service."
- Cassandra B.
"The team at Apollo exceeded my expectations. As a business owner, my attention to the details and commitment to providing excellent service is high. From the sales rep. to the installation team, everyone’s performance was outstanding. For example, the installation team went to great lengths to protect our floors, placing floor runners and across the wood floors and up the stairs. They even were spot washing walls upon their departure. I highly recommend this company."
- Randy B.
"We scheduled an estimate AND a tune-up. We knew something was wrong with our furnace, but hoped we could make it through the rest of the season. Upon telling Bill what our furnace was doing, he warned us immediately what the possible outcome was going to be; a cracked heat exchanger. He watched the flames roll backward, tested carbon monoxide levels, which were so high they meter’s last reading was 5,600 before saying “high”. He immediately shut it down, tagged it, and explained that with levels that high and children in our home he wanted off right away. He continued his inspection and showed us via a camera that not only was it cracked in multiple places, but had holes all over it. He gave us a few options for repairing it; his knowledge as well as genuine concern was beneficial and refreshing. Luckily we also scheduled an estimator, Micah, to come too and we were able to get costs between repairing and replacing (with several options). We decided to replace with a much higher efficiency furnace and one sized properly to our home. Hands down, not only did they both provide us great service and knowledge, but without sounding dramatic, they may have saved our lives. This was our first time calling Apollo, but it won’t be our last."
- Sarah B.
"Apollo is an excellent company. I always receive great service. Alex A. was professional and friendly. He kept me informed during the process of checking my furnace and heat pump to make sure they were working properly. The company makes sure you are notified who is coming and when they are on the way. All my interactions with the company have been wonderful."
- Beverly S.