Best Home Zoning System Design Includes These 5 Steps
When you’ve decided to go with customized cooling and heating, a top-notch zoning system is critical. Determining which rooms to include in each zone will allow you to have more control and flexibility. Installing a programmable thermostat in each zone will also help you keep your utility costs down.
Your heating and cooling contractor will take into account the following five factors when he implements your home zoning system design:
- Multiple levels – If your home has two or more floors, no zone should encompass more than one level. Because heat rises, any zone that has more than one level will not be able to achieve a uniform temperature.
- Construction types – If your home has an addition or an area that’s different in construction from your main living area, that space should have its own zone. The other area probably has more or less insulation and other factors that make its cooling and heating load different from your main living area.
- Location and layout – Zones should not include both interior and exterior rooms. In this situation, as well, insulation may be a factor, along with solar heat gain through windows.
- Thermostat location – Your contractor should put the thermostat for each zone in the room where you and your family are likely to spend the most time. Because your heating and cooling system will run until the thermostat temperature is reached, it makes sense to put the thermostats in the rooms you occupy most.
- Airflow – Each zone should have its own supply and return registers to ensure optimal airflow throughout your entire home.
The most important metric to understand is the heating and cooling load of each room. Areas with similar loads should be grouped in the same zone to maximize energy efficiency and home comfort. Your contractor will use sophisticated methods to calculate these loads, but he should also work with you to determine your home comfort preferences and daily habits.
If you need help with zoning system design or any other home comfort issue, call the pros at Apollo Home Heating, Cooling and Plumbing in Cincinnati. We recommend starting with a home performance evaluation to assess sources of energy loss and areas for improvement. Based on the results, our trained professionals can help you optimize your home comfort system and save money.
Image via Shutterstock.com
"Ernie & Mike did a superb job on my new furnace and A/C installation. Despite having more than a day’s work to do, they came in and stayed until the job was done. They were organized, efficient, and protected the rest of the house well. Got both furnace and A/C installed the same day. Ernie was courteous, informative, and clearly knew his job better than anyone I’ve encountered before. The units look so good guests now get The Tour of our new system. Apollo is clearly not a fly-by-night company. I would recommend them to anyone in need of a new furnace and/or A/C."
- Jerry A.
"I called Apollo because of a water leak I thought I had in our upstairs shower going into the kitchen. Robbie came and assured me everything was fine & looked at all the other plumbing. He ended up changing a few pipes for our washer & clearing a drain. He was very nice & knowledgeable with all my questions. I ended up signing up for the care plan & was very happy with my service."
- Cassandra B.
"The team at Apollo exceeded my expectations. As a business owner, my attention to the details and commitment to providing excellent service is high. From the sales rep. to the installation team, everyone’s performance was outstanding. For example, the installation team went to great lengths to protect our floors, placing floor runners and across the wood floors and up the stairs. They even were spot washing walls upon their departure. I highly recommend this company."
- Randy B.
"We scheduled an estimate AND a tune-up. We knew something was wrong with our furnace, but hoped we could make it through the rest of the season. Upon telling Bill what our furnace was doing, he warned us immediately what the possible outcome was going to be; a cracked heat exchanger. He watched the flames roll backward, tested carbon monoxide levels, which were so high they meter’s last reading was 5,600 before saying “high”. He immediately shut it down, tagged it, and explained that with levels that high and children in our home he wanted off right away. He continued his inspection and showed us via a camera that not only was it cracked in multiple places, but had holes all over it. He gave us a few options for repairing it; his knowledge as well as genuine concern was beneficial and refreshing. Luckily we also scheduled an estimator, Micah, to come too and we were able to get costs between repairing and replacing (with several options). We decided to replace with a much higher efficiency furnace and one sized properly to our home. Hands down, not only did they both provide us great service and knowledge, but without sounding dramatic, they may have saved our lives. This was our first time calling Apollo, but it won’t be our last."
- Sarah B.
"Apollo is an excellent company. I always receive great service. Alex A. was professional and friendly. He kept me informed during the process of checking my furnace and heat pump to make sure they were working properly. The company makes sure you are notified who is coming and when they are on the way. All my interactions with the company have been wonderful."
- Beverly S.