Be Ready If There’s a Power Outage in the Cincinnati Area
Summer heat and changing seasons bring unpredictable storms and sometimes violent weather. Don’t get caught off guard by the inevitable power outage. With a little preparation, you can be ready for power outages and keep your family safe with these ideas:
- Use a crank or battery-operated radio and keep extra batteries.
- Have enough first aid supplies and prescription medications for three days.
- Keep at least $50 in cash in case you can’t use ATMs or banks due to power loss.
- Buy a second cell phone battery and solar charger.
- Buy an assortment of ready-to-eat foods such as canned meats, granola bars, nuts and dried fruits.
- Keep extra ice in the freezer during summer and a foam cooler handy for emergency fresh food storage.
- Keep chlorine tablets on hand for emergency water purification.
- In a warm weather power outage, it’s particularly important to stay hydrated. You’ll need one gallon of water per day for each person in your household.