Weatherization Projects With the Help of a Trusted Handyman
How do you keep the weather outside from getting inside your home? The answer is weatherization. With a few simple projects, you can weatherize your home and make it more comfortable year round and a trusted handyman can make this even easier.
What Is Weatherization?
When it comes to home improvement, weatherizing involves making small changes with the goal of making your home more efficient. Many of the small changes are inexpensive and don’t take much time, but the effects they have on your energy bills can be quite astounding.
Home Weatherization Projects
Air can enter your home through gaps and cracks in your home’s exterior. Weatherizing stops those air leaks.
- Caulk is useful for closing up around window and door frames. Walk around your house and look at the outside of the frames. You may see a gap between the frame and the siding. Caulk is perfect for sealing up these openings. If the opening is large, use a spray foam to fill in the gap. Top it off with caulk to water proof it.
- Weatherstripping is perfect for sealing windows and doors when shut. You need your windows and doors to function, but when they close, there needs to be a tight seal between the movable parts and the frame. Weatherstripping will do that.
- Foam inserts added behind exterior wall outlets will keep air from getting inside at those locations.
- Insulation on the backs of the attic access door can keep it from becoming a cold spot. If you have a panel or hatch opening, use weatherstripping to keep the opening sealed when shut.
- The doors on the fireplace should be closed when it’s not in use. They shut tight against the fireplace opening and will help keep drafts from going through the house. Close the damper to provide another barrier against air coming in.
Tackle weatherization projects around your home with the help of the handyman services available with Apollo Home Heating, Cooling and Plumbing. Give us a call today to schedule an appointment!
Image via Shutterstock.com
"Ernie & Mike did a superb job on my new furnace and A/C installation. Despite having more than a day’s work to do, they came in and stayed until the job was done. They were organized, efficient, and protected the rest of the house well. Got both furnace and A/C installed the same day. Ernie was courteous, informative, and clearly knew his job better than anyone I’ve encountered before. The units look so good guests now get The Tour of our new system. Apollo is clearly not a fly-by-night company. I would recommend them to anyone in need of a new furnace and/or A/C."
- Jerry A.
"I called Apollo because of a water leak I thought I had in our upstairs shower going into the kitchen. Robbie came and assured me everything was fine & looked at all the other plumbing. He ended up changing a few pipes for our washer & clearing a drain. He was very nice & knowledgeable with all my questions. I ended up signing up for the care plan & was very happy with my service."
- Cassandra B.
"The team at Apollo exceeded my expectations. As a business owner, my attention to the details and commitment to providing excellent service is high. From the sales rep. to the installation team, everyone’s performance was outstanding. For example, the installation team went to great lengths to protect our floors, placing floor runners and across the wood floors and up the stairs. They even were spot washing walls upon their departure. I highly recommend this company."
- Randy B.
"We scheduled an estimate AND a tune-up. We knew something was wrong with our furnace, but hoped we could make it through the rest of the season. Upon telling Bill what our furnace was doing, he warned us immediately what the possible outcome was going to be; a cracked heat exchanger. He watched the flames roll backward, tested carbon monoxide levels, which were so high they meter’s last reading was 5,600 before saying “high”. He immediately shut it down, tagged it, and explained that with levels that high and children in our home he wanted off right away. He continued his inspection and showed us via a camera that not only was it cracked in multiple places, but had holes all over it. He gave us a few options for repairing it; his knowledge as well as genuine concern was beneficial and refreshing. Luckily we also scheduled an estimator, Micah, to come too and we were able to get costs between repairing and replacing (with several options). We decided to replace with a much higher efficiency furnace and one sized properly to our home. Hands down, not only did they both provide us great service and knowledge, but without sounding dramatic, they may have saved our lives. This was our first time calling Apollo, but it won’t be our last."
- Sarah B.
"Apollo is an excellent company. I always receive great service. Alex A. was professional and friendly. He kept me informed during the process of checking my furnace and heat pump to make sure they were working properly. The company makes sure you are notified who is coming and when they are on the way. All my interactions with the company have been wonderful."
- Beverly S.