Decorative molding adds character and can dress up your room, emphasize a certain design style or finish a look. Various types of molding and trim can be found around windows and doors, around the top or bottom edge of a wall or even toward the middle at chair-back height.
If you’re thinking of adding different types of molding and trim, you have a world of choices to complement the décor of your greater Cincinnati home. Here are just some of the possibilities:
- Baseboards generally measure three to five inches and are found at the base of walls, where the wall and floor meet. The baseboard is often finished with rounded trim.
- Crown molding highlights the area where the wall and ceiling meet. Also known as cornice molding, it’s sometimes coordinated with your fireplace mantel.
- Chair railing was originally intended to protect chairs from leaving a mark when bumping against the wall. Also used as a decorative feature, chair rail often marks the transition between paint and wallpaper.
- Picture railing, around an inch or two wide, runs around the walls at about nine feet (or a little less) from the floor. As the name implies, this railing is useful to hang wall art without nailing directly into the wall.
- Casing runs around the edge of doors and windows, covering the unfinished wall edges. It’s typically about two to three inches wide.
- Cove molding is concave, often used to gracefully blend wall and ceiling surfaces into one another. It’s occasionally used in a staircase, at the transition from risers to treads.
Many unique looks can be created with the various types of molding and trim available. Trim may be relatively thin and subtle, wide and intricately carved or some combination of these attributes. Molding can be painted the same color as the wall or in a closely related shade, or try a contrasting tone for a bolder statement.
Want to know more about the types of molding and trim, or need professional installation on a budget? Contact the handyman at Apollo Home Heating, Cooling and Plumbing.
Image via Shutterstock.com
"Ernie & Mike did a superb job on my new furnace and A/C installation. Despite having more than a day’s work to do, they came in and stayed until the job was done. They were organized, efficient, and protected the rest of the house well. Got both furnace and A/C installed the same day. Ernie was courteous, informative, and clearly knew his job better than anyone I’ve encountered before. The units look so good guests now get The Tour of our new system. Apollo is clearly not a fly-by-night company. I would recommend them to anyone in need of a new furnace and/or A/C."
- Jerry A.
"I called Apollo because of a water leak I thought I had in our upstairs shower going into the kitchen. Robbie came and assured me everything was fine & looked at all the other plumbing. He ended up changing a few pipes for our washer & clearing a drain. He was very nice & knowledgeable with all my questions. I ended up signing up for the care plan & was very happy with my service."
- Cassandra B.
"The team at Apollo exceeded my expectations. As a business owner, my attention to the details and commitment to providing excellent service is high. From the sales rep. to the installation team, everyone’s performance was outstanding. For example, the installation team went to great lengths to protect our floors, placing floor runners and across the wood floors and up the stairs. They even were spot washing walls upon their departure. I highly recommend this company."
- Randy B.
"We scheduled an estimate AND a tune-up. We knew something was wrong with our furnace, but hoped we could make it through the rest of the season. Upon telling Bill what our furnace was doing, he warned us immediately what the possible outcome was going to be; a cracked heat exchanger. He watched the flames roll backward, tested carbon monoxide levels, which were so high they meter’s last reading was 5,600 before saying “high”. He immediately shut it down, tagged it, and explained that with levels that high and children in our home he wanted off right away. He continued his inspection and showed us via a camera that not only was it cracked in multiple places, but had holes all over it. He gave us a few options for repairing it; his knowledge as well as genuine concern was beneficial and refreshing. Luckily we also scheduled an estimator, Micah, to come too and we were able to get costs between repairing and replacing (with several options). We decided to replace with a much higher efficiency furnace and one sized properly to our home. Hands down, not only did they both provide us great service and knowledge, but without sounding dramatic, they may have saved our lives. This was our first time calling Apollo, but it won’t be our last."
- Sarah B.
"Apollo is an excellent company. I always receive great service. Alex A. was professional and friendly. He kept me informed during the process of checking my furnace and heat pump to make sure they were working properly. The company makes sure you are notified who is coming and when they are on the way. All my interactions with the company have been wonderful."
- Beverly S.