Tree Roots Can Wreak Havoc on Pipes — How to Best Prevent Pipe Damage
Tree roots craving water will naturally grow toward any leaks in your water and sewer pipes. Once they find a leak, they’ll invade your pipes, causing water flow blockage, pipe damage, unhealthy conditions and costly repair bills. To prevent pipe damage from tree roots and avoid high repair bills, follow these tips when planting trees and maintaining your pipes.
Prevent Pipe Damage From Tree Roots
- Locate sewer lines – You can call your local public works office or the national 811 “Call Before You Dig” number to locate underground utilities on your property. Before you do any kind of landscaping, it’s always wise to know where your pipes, cables and lines are buried.
- Make a barrier between your trees and sewer lines – You can choose from a wide array of barriers to prevent root growth into your sewer lines. Most homeowners like to spread slow-release chemicals, such as copper sulfate and potassium hydroxide, near their sewer lines. Some homeowners prefer to bury metal or wood barriers below their pipes and run them along their sewer lines.
- Smart planting – Limit the number of plantings near sewer lines. Plant larger trees far away enough so that their roots can’t reach your pipes. In case you do have to plant near sewer lines, plant slow-growing trees that have a small root ball.
- Understand warning signs – If your drains are constantly clogged, you may have a bigger problem. Pipe damage from tree roots causes clogged, overflowing and slow-flowing drains. Sometimes you’ll hear a gurgling sound from your toilet.
- Inspection – If you notice any warning signs of possible pipe damage, contact a plumber, who can inspect your pipes to find the damaged areas.
- Maintenance – Cleaning and clearing sewer lines regularly will prevent root growth inside your pipes. As a result, you’ll avoid major sewer repairs.
To learn more about how to prevent pipe damage from tree roots, contact the HVAC and plumbing professionals at Apollo Home Heating, Cooling and Plumbing today. Since 1910, we’ve proudly served the residents of the greater Cincinnati area.
Image via Shutterstock.com
"Ernie & Mike did a superb job on my new furnace and A/C installation. Despite having more than a day’s work to do, they came in and stayed until the job was done. They were organized, efficient, and protected the rest of the house well. Got both furnace and A/C installed the same day. Ernie was courteous, informative, and clearly knew his job better than anyone I’ve encountered before. The units look so good guests now get The Tour of our new system. Apollo is clearly not a fly-by-night company. I would recommend them to anyone in need of a new furnace and/or A/C."
- Jerry A.
"I called Apollo because of a water leak I thought I had in our upstairs shower going into the kitchen. Robbie came and assured me everything was fine & looked at all the other plumbing. He ended up changing a few pipes for our washer & clearing a drain. He was very nice & knowledgeable with all my questions. I ended up signing up for the care plan & was very happy with my service."
- Cassandra B.
"The team at Apollo exceeded my expectations. As a business owner, my attention to the details and commitment to providing excellent service is high. From the sales rep. to the installation team, everyone’s performance was outstanding. For example, the installation team went to great lengths to protect our floors, placing floor runners and across the wood floors and up the stairs. They even were spot washing walls upon their departure. I highly recommend this company."
- Randy B.
"We scheduled an estimate AND a tune-up. We knew something was wrong with our furnace, but hoped we could make it through the rest of the season. Upon telling Bill what our furnace was doing, he warned us immediately what the possible outcome was going to be; a cracked heat exchanger. He watched the flames roll backward, tested carbon monoxide levels, which were so high they meter’s last reading was 5,600 before saying “high”. He immediately shut it down, tagged it, and explained that with levels that high and children in our home he wanted off right away. He continued his inspection and showed us via a camera that not only was it cracked in multiple places, but had holes all over it. He gave us a few options for repairing it; his knowledge as well as genuine concern was beneficial and refreshing. Luckily we also scheduled an estimator, Micah, to come too and we were able to get costs between repairing and replacing (with several options). We decided to replace with a much higher efficiency furnace and one sized properly to our home. Hands down, not only did they both provide us great service and knowledge, but without sounding dramatic, they may have saved our lives. This was our first time calling Apollo, but it won’t be our last."
- Sarah B.
"Apollo is an excellent company. I always receive great service. Alex A. was professional and friendly. He kept me informed during the process of checking my furnace and heat pump to make sure they were working properly. The company makes sure you are notified who is coming and when they are on the way. All my interactions with the company have been wonderful."
- Beverly S.