Tips for Fireplace Use and Safety
There is nothing like the warmth and ambiance of a fireplace in the cold winter months. But a fireplace by nature is very energy inefficient when it comes to heating your home, even if it does provide immediate warmth to a room.
About 80 percent of the heated air generated from a fireplace goes up the chimney and out of your home. To compensate for this loss of air, cold outside air is drawn into your home through gaps in doors, windows and other openings. As a result, your HVAC system is forced to work longer and harder to regulate the temperature in the house.
But you don’t have to give up using your fireplace and enjoying the beauty and warmth it provides. Proper use and maintenance will not only maximize the fireplace’s efficiency but ensure that it is operating safely as well.
Making it More Efficient
- Install a sealed damper (door to the chimney) to replace a poorly insulated one. Check it regularly to minimize air leakage to keep the warm are in and the cold air out.
- Install glass doors that are vented along the bottoms or sides. The doors act as a barrier against warm air being pulled up the chimney. The glass allows the heat form the fire to radiate into the room while the vents allow a controlled amount of combustion airflow into the fireplace.
- Use combustion air vents that use outside air to keep the fire lit. This keeps the heat from the fire inside the room and does not draw it back in and up the chimney.
- Consider installing a fireplace insert or wood stove into your existing fireplace. They are equipped with glass doors, outside combustion air vents and heat circulation blowers.
Making it Safer
- Make sure the damper is open adequately to allow smoke to exit the room.
- Do not close the damper while fire is burning or there are hot ashes in the fireplace.
- Keep the fire small for minimal smoke.
- Do not use flammable liquids to start the fire and do not burn paper or trash.
- Never leave the fire or hot embers unattended.
- Never burn a fire for more than five hours.
- Keep the surrounding area clean and free of flammable materials.
- Use screens to protect pets and children from getting too close to the fire.
- Have the chimney cleaned and checked annually to make sure it is clear of obstructions. The Chimney Safety Institute of America can provide more information on what to look for in an evaluation.
- Use a carbon monoxide detector. See “Why Carbon Monoxide Detectors Should be in your Home” for additional information.
Following these steps will go a long way to ensuring your fireplace is energy efficient and safe. You can enjoy the beauty and warmth of your fireplace all winter long – just do it wisely!
"Ernie & Mike did a superb job on my new furnace and A/C installation. Despite having more than a day’s work to do, they came in and stayed until the job was done. They were organized, efficient, and protected the rest of the house well. Got both furnace and A/C installed the same day. Ernie was courteous, informative, and clearly knew his job better than anyone I’ve encountered before. The units look so good guests now get The Tour of our new system. Apollo is clearly not a fly-by-night company. I would recommend them to anyone in need of a new furnace and/or A/C."
- Jerry A.
"I called Apollo because of a water leak I thought I had in our upstairs shower going into the kitchen. Robbie came and assured me everything was fine & looked at all the other plumbing. He ended up changing a few pipes for our washer & clearing a drain. He was very nice & knowledgeable with all my questions. I ended up signing up for the care plan & was very happy with my service."
- Cassandra B.
"The team at Apollo exceeded my expectations. As a business owner, my attention to the details and commitment to providing excellent service is high. From the sales rep. to the installation team, everyone’s performance was outstanding. For example, the installation team went to great lengths to protect our floors, placing floor runners and across the wood floors and up the stairs. They even were spot washing walls upon their departure. I highly recommend this company."
- Randy B.
"We scheduled an estimate AND a tune-up. We knew something was wrong with our furnace, but hoped we could make it through the rest of the season. Upon telling Bill what our furnace was doing, he warned us immediately what the possible outcome was going to be; a cracked heat exchanger. He watched the flames roll backward, tested carbon monoxide levels, which were so high they meter’s last reading was 5,600 before saying “high”. He immediately shut it down, tagged it, and explained that with levels that high and children in our home he wanted off right away. He continued his inspection and showed us via a camera that not only was it cracked in multiple places, but had holes all over it. He gave us a few options for repairing it; his knowledge as well as genuine concern was beneficial and refreshing. Luckily we also scheduled an estimator, Micah, to come too and we were able to get costs between repairing and replacing (with several options). We decided to replace with a much higher efficiency furnace and one sized properly to our home. Hands down, not only did they both provide us great service and knowledge, but without sounding dramatic, they may have saved our lives. This was our first time calling Apollo, but it won’t be our last."
- Sarah B.
"Apollo is an excellent company. I always receive great service. Alex A. was professional and friendly. He kept me informed during the process of checking my furnace and heat pump to make sure they were working properly. The company makes sure you are notified who is coming and when they are on the way. All my interactions with the company have been wonderful."
- Beverly S.