You have a brand new baby, and it will only be a few months before your home becomes that baby’s playground. Now’s the time to start childproofing your home so your little one will remain safe while learning and exploring the world.
Childproofing a home requires common sense and a bit of work. Here are some tips for getting your home ready:
- Keep all poisons and poisonous substances in a locked, secured cabinet. Ideally, this cabinet will be in a room that the child can’t access.
- Turn the temperature on the water heater down to 120 degrees. Anything higher increases the chances of scalding.
- Install sleeves on all door knobs to prevent a toddler from heading outdoors or accessing dangerous areas of the home.
- Make sure you have a fire alarm installed on each floor of your home and near bedrooms. Hardwired, interconnected alarms are best.
- Cover all unused outlets with plastic plugs to prevent accidental shock.
- Secure cabinets and drawers with childproof latches. This prevents the toddler from getting into dangerous or fragile items.
- Install baby gates at the top and bottom of all staircases. Also install them in open doorways that you want to keep the child from entering.
- Secure or eliminate loose rugs or electrical cords.
- Place prized possessions in places toddlers can’t access.
- Enclose open deck railings.
- Add fencing around swimming pools. It should be a minimum of 4-feet high, but 5-feet is optimal.
- Block off pet doors to prevent your toddler from going through.
Now, if you’re like most new parents, you don’t have much free time to tackle odd jobs like these. You barely have time to care for the baby and keep everyday life going. This is when a handyman can help.
The handyman services available with Apollo Home Heating, Cooling and Plumbing can take on childproofing a home, or any other project you have in mind.
Image via Shutterstock.com
"Ernie & Mike did a superb job on my new furnace and A/C installation. Despite having more than a day’s work to do, they came in and stayed until the job was done. They were organized, efficient, and protected the rest of the house well. Got both furnace and A/C installed the same day. Ernie was courteous, informative, and clearly knew his job better than anyone I’ve encountered before. The units look so good guests now get The Tour of our new system. Apollo is clearly not a fly-by-night company. I would recommend them to anyone in need of a new furnace and/or A/C."
- Jerry A.
"I called Apollo because of a water leak I thought I had in our upstairs shower going into the kitchen. Robbie came and assured me everything was fine & looked at all the other plumbing. He ended up changing a few pipes for our washer & clearing a drain. He was very nice & knowledgeable with all my questions. I ended up signing up for the care plan & was very happy with my service."
- Cassandra B.
"The team at Apollo exceeded my expectations. As a business owner, my attention to the details and commitment to providing excellent service is high. From the sales rep. to the installation team, everyone’s performance was outstanding. For example, the installation team went to great lengths to protect our floors, placing floor runners and across the wood floors and up the stairs. They even were spot washing walls upon their departure. I highly recommend this company."
- Randy B.
"We scheduled an estimate AND a tune-up. We knew something was wrong with our furnace, but hoped we could make it through the rest of the season. Upon telling Bill what our furnace was doing, he warned us immediately what the possible outcome was going to be; a cracked heat exchanger. He watched the flames roll backward, tested carbon monoxide levels, which were so high they meter’s last reading was 5,600 before saying “high”. He immediately shut it down, tagged it, and explained that with levels that high and children in our home he wanted off right away. He continued his inspection and showed us via a camera that not only was it cracked in multiple places, but had holes all over it. He gave us a few options for repairing it; his knowledge as well as genuine concern was beneficial and refreshing. Luckily we also scheduled an estimator, Micah, to come too and we were able to get costs between repairing and replacing (with several options). We decided to replace with a much higher efficiency furnace and one sized properly to our home. Hands down, not only did they both provide us great service and knowledge, but without sounding dramatic, they may have saved our lives. This was our first time calling Apollo, but it won’t be our last."
- Sarah B.
"Apollo is an excellent company. I always receive great service. Alex A. was professional and friendly. He kept me informed during the process of checking my furnace and heat pump to make sure they were working properly. The company makes sure you are notified who is coming and when they are on the way. All my interactions with the company have been wonderful."
- Beverly S.