Depending on your home’s size and energy efficiency, your utility bills can cost you considerably, especially during the heating season. These tips are surefire home energy savers that will help you trim your monthly heating costs.
- Identify the air leaks in your home. Inspect window frames and exterior doors, and seal the drafts with caulk and weatherstripping, both of which you can find at home-improvement stores. Plug the gaps in exterior walls where wires, plumbing and cable enter. A trip to the basement and attic may reveal breaches, as well. If you find gaps around the chimney or furnace flue, seal them with fireproof material or metal flashing, as needed.
- The Department of Energy recommends that you have at least 16 inches of insulation in your attic. If your insulation is insufficient, add more, using fiberglass batts or loose fill. If you prefer spray-in foam insulation, you will need the help of a qualified contractor.
- Install reversible ceiling fans in the rooms you use frequently. Heat rises, and when you run the fans in a clockwise direction during the winter, the warm air will be pulled down along the walls and into the space that you and your family members are occupying. Remember to turn them off when you’re not in any of the rooms.
- Take advantage of the sun during the winter to passively heat your home. Keep your curtains open when the sun is out, especially if you have south-facing windows, and close the curtains at night to keep in the warmth. If you don’t have thermal or Energy Star windows, use storm windows or clear plastic window kits to slow drafts and thermal loss.
- Check the filter in your furnace once a month, and change it as soon as it looks dirty. Dust and dirt on a filter drive up your heating costs and increase wear and tear on your equipment.
- Have your HVAC equipment serviced annually to keep it in top running condition.
For more information on surefire energy savers, contact Apollo Home Heating, Cooling and Plumbing. We’ve provided top-notch products and services to homeowners in greater Cincinnati since 1910.
Image via Shutterstock.com
"Ernie & Mike did a superb job on my new furnace and A/C installation. Despite having more than a day’s work to do, they came in and stayed until the job was done. They were organized, efficient, and protected the rest of the house well. Got both furnace and A/C installed the same day. Ernie was courteous, informative, and clearly knew his job better than anyone I’ve encountered before. The units look so good guests now get The Tour of our new system. Apollo is clearly not a fly-by-night company. I would recommend them to anyone in need of a new furnace and/or A/C."
- Jerry A.
"I called Apollo because of a water leak I thought I had in our upstairs shower going into the kitchen. Robbie came and assured me everything was fine & looked at all the other plumbing. He ended up changing a few pipes for our washer & clearing a drain. He was very nice & knowledgeable with all my questions. I ended up signing up for the care plan & was very happy with my service."
- Cassandra B.
"The team at Apollo exceeded my expectations. As a business owner, my attention to the details and commitment to providing excellent service is high. From the sales rep. to the installation team, everyone’s performance was outstanding. For example, the installation team went to great lengths to protect our floors, placing floor runners and across the wood floors and up the stairs. They even were spot washing walls upon their departure. I highly recommend this company."
- Randy B.
"We scheduled an estimate AND a tune-up. We knew something was wrong with our furnace, but hoped we could make it through the rest of the season. Upon telling Bill what our furnace was doing, he warned us immediately what the possible outcome was going to be; a cracked heat exchanger. He watched the flames roll backward, tested carbon monoxide levels, which were so high they meter’s last reading was 5,600 before saying “high”. He immediately shut it down, tagged it, and explained that with levels that high and children in our home he wanted off right away. He continued his inspection and showed us via a camera that not only was it cracked in multiple places, but had holes all over it. He gave us a few options for repairing it; his knowledge as well as genuine concern was beneficial and refreshing. Luckily we also scheduled an estimator, Micah, to come too and we were able to get costs between repairing and replacing (with several options). We decided to replace with a much higher efficiency furnace and one sized properly to our home. Hands down, not only did they both provide us great service and knowledge, but without sounding dramatic, they may have saved our lives. This was our first time calling Apollo, but it won’t be our last."
- Sarah B.
"Apollo is an excellent company. I always receive great service. Alex A. was professional and friendly. He kept me informed during the process of checking my furnace and heat pump to make sure they were working properly. The company makes sure you are notified who is coming and when they are on the way. All my interactions with the company have been wonderful."
- Beverly S.