Shorter days and cooler temperatures are subtle reminders for what’s to come in the months ahead. While you’re preparing your home for the harsh reality of a Cincinnati winter, consider making some additional changes to help conserve energy and lower your monthly heating bill. Here are some great energy saving tips to get you started.
- Adjust thermostat settings. Aim for a set point of 68 degrees when you’re home and awake and set the programmable thermostat several degrees lower for times you’re sleeping or away. You can save approximately 1 percent on your heating bill for each degree that you lower the dial.
- Eliminate air leaks. Keep conditioned air in and cold winter air out by sealing leaks around doors and windows with weatherstripping or caulking. Test for leaks on a windy day using a piece of tissue paper on a stick to find drafts.
- Schedule preventive maintenance. Make your appointment in the fall before you turn on the heat for the first time. This will allow you the best flexibility with appointment times and prevent equipment operation while it’s in need of cleaning, repair or lubrication.
- Let the sun shine in. One of the easiest energy saving tips is to open window coverings on south-facing windows during peak daylight hours to allow the sun to warm your interior. Be sure to close them once the sun drops to retain the heat and keep out the cold.
- Optimize airflow. Check supply and return registers to ensure they’re unencumbered by furniture or drapes, opened, and free of dust.
- Inspect the ductwork. A visual evaluation can help locate areas of disconnection or cracks that should be repaired with duct mastic or foil backed tape. In addition to conditioned air escaping, cracks can draw contaminated air in, lowering indoor air quality.
- Turn down the temperature on the water heater. Lower the thermostat to 120 degrees to save energy and as a safety measure to prevent scalding.
For more energy saving tips, or for any other HVAC concerns, call the experts at Apollo Home Heating, Cooling and Plumbing.
Image via Shutterstock.com
"Ernie & Mike did a superb job on my new furnace and A/C installation. Despite having more than a day’s work to do, they came in and stayed until the job was done. They were organized, efficient, and protected the rest of the house well. Got both furnace and A/C installed the same day. Ernie was courteous, informative, and clearly knew his job better than anyone I’ve encountered before. The units look so good guests now get The Tour of our new system. Apollo is clearly not a fly-by-night company. I would recommend them to anyone in need of a new furnace and/or A/C."
- Jerry A.
"I called Apollo because of a water leak I thought I had in our upstairs shower going into the kitchen. Robbie came and assured me everything was fine & looked at all the other plumbing. He ended up changing a few pipes for our washer & clearing a drain. He was very nice & knowledgeable with all my questions. I ended up signing up for the care plan & was very happy with my service."
- Cassandra B.
"The team at Apollo exceeded my expectations. As a business owner, my attention to the details and commitment to providing excellent service is high. From the sales rep. to the installation team, everyone’s performance was outstanding. For example, the installation team went to great lengths to protect our floors, placing floor runners and across the wood floors and up the stairs. They even were spot washing walls upon their departure. I highly recommend this company."
- Randy B.
"We scheduled an estimate AND a tune-up. We knew something was wrong with our furnace, but hoped we could make it through the rest of the season. Upon telling Bill what our furnace was doing, he warned us immediately what the possible outcome was going to be; a cracked heat exchanger. He watched the flames roll backward, tested carbon monoxide levels, which were so high they meter’s last reading was 5,600 before saying “high”. He immediately shut it down, tagged it, and explained that with levels that high and children in our home he wanted off right away. He continued his inspection and showed us via a camera that not only was it cracked in multiple places, but had holes all over it. He gave us a few options for repairing it; his knowledge as well as genuine concern was beneficial and refreshing. Luckily we also scheduled an estimator, Micah, to come too and we were able to get costs between repairing and replacing (with several options). We decided to replace with a much higher efficiency furnace and one sized properly to our home. Hands down, not only did they both provide us great service and knowledge, but without sounding dramatic, they may have saved our lives. This was our first time calling Apollo, but it won’t be our last."
- Sarah B.
"Apollo is an excellent company. I always receive great service. Alex A. was professional and friendly. He kept me informed during the process of checking my furnace and heat pump to make sure they were working properly. The company makes sure you are notified who is coming and when they are on the way. All my interactions with the company have been wonderful."
- Beverly S.