Planning bathroom remodeling requires working closely with your plumbing contractor and knowing the tasks that are involved to maximize your return on investment and enjoy the space for years to come.
Your plumbing contractor should be familiar with code requirements, which will dictate factors such as the placement of the toilet. Working together at each stage will help you avoid problems and get a bathroom that meets all of your expectations.
These are the general steps your plumber/contractor should follow when planning bathroom remodeling:
- Evaluate wall placement – Building codes require a certain amount of space — clearance — around toilets and sinks. This is the first thing your plumbing contractor should check. If for some reason there’s not enough space for everything you want — a double vanity, for example, in a space where you had a single vanity, you’ll have to scale back or tear down a wall.
- Follow codes – Once proper wall clearance is established, the plumber should create a mock-up of the layout. Most building codes require that a toilet be centered within a 30-inch space — you’ll need 15 inches of clearance on each side.
- Install floors – If you’re having a concrete floor installed, any drain and supply lines should be put in first. Then the floor can be poured. If walls need to be constructed, that should be the last step. If you’re laying down a wood subfloor, walls should be constructed first, and then plumbing lines should be installed.
- Correctly locate fixtures – To avoid having to cut into studs, the plumber should carefully center the tub between wall studs and then run plumbing lines.
- Rough in the rest – The final step before the finishing touches involves roughing in systems like ventilation, heating, ductwork and electricals.
Planning bathroom remodeling in the near future? In greater Cincinnati, contact Apollo Home Heating, Cooling & Plumbing. One of our plumbing experts can help you plan for the bathroom you have in mind.
Image via Shutterstock.com
"Ernie & Mike did a superb job on my new furnace and A/C installation. Despite having more than a day’s work to do, they came in and stayed until the job was done. They were organized, efficient, and protected the rest of the house well. Got both furnace and A/C installed the same day. Ernie was courteous, informative, and clearly knew his job better than anyone I’ve encountered before. The units look so good guests now get The Tour of our new system. Apollo is clearly not a fly-by-night company. I would recommend them to anyone in need of a new furnace and/or A/C."
- Jerry A.
"I called Apollo because of a water leak I thought I had in our upstairs shower going into the kitchen. Robbie came and assured me everything was fine & looked at all the other plumbing. He ended up changing a few pipes for our washer & clearing a drain. He was very nice & knowledgeable with all my questions. I ended up signing up for the care plan & was very happy with my service."
- Cassandra B.
"The team at Apollo exceeded my expectations. As a business owner, my attention to the details and commitment to providing excellent service is high. From the sales rep. to the installation team, everyone’s performance was outstanding. For example, the installation team went to great lengths to protect our floors, placing floor runners and across the wood floors and up the stairs. They even were spot washing walls upon their departure. I highly recommend this company."
- Randy B.
"We scheduled an estimate AND a tune-up. We knew something was wrong with our furnace, but hoped we could make it through the rest of the season. Upon telling Bill what our furnace was doing, he warned us immediately what the possible outcome was going to be; a cracked heat exchanger. He watched the flames roll backward, tested carbon monoxide levels, which were so high they meter’s last reading was 5,600 before saying “high”. He immediately shut it down, tagged it, and explained that with levels that high and children in our home he wanted off right away. He continued his inspection and showed us via a camera that not only was it cracked in multiple places, but had holes all over it. He gave us a few options for repairing it; his knowledge as well as genuine concern was beneficial and refreshing. Luckily we also scheduled an estimator, Micah, to come too and we were able to get costs between repairing and replacing (with several options). We decided to replace with a much higher efficiency furnace and one sized properly to our home. Hands down, not only did they both provide us great service and knowledge, but without sounding dramatic, they may have saved our lives. This was our first time calling Apollo, but it won’t be our last."
- Sarah B.
"Apollo is an excellent company. I always receive great service. Alex A. was professional and friendly. He kept me informed during the process of checking my furnace and heat pump to make sure they were working properly. The company makes sure you are notified who is coming and when they are on the way. All my interactions with the company have been wonderful."
- Beverly S.