How to Keep It Cool on the Second Floor of Your Home
During Cincinnati’s hot summer months, many homeowners find comfort running their air conditioning. Even with the A/C going, those with second floors often find it difficult to keep upstairs cool, no matter how hot it is outside.
These steps can help cool down the upper floor, as well as keep your entire home cool through the end of summer.
- Make sure your attic is properly insulated. Insulation with an R-value of at least 30 is necessary to maintain your desired temperatures throughout the year. This will also help keep out the cold as the seasons change.
- Double check attic soffits to make sure they’re free of blockage and debris. If the attic is hot, the upstairs of your home will be hot as well. Consider installing power or ridge vents to help cool the attic (and provide better ventilation which also helps prevent ice dams in winter).
- Air seal the windows in the attic and second floor. Air sealing prevents conditioned air from leaving the home.
- Use curtains and drapes to block sunlight. Window coverings that are light in color are most effective in blocking heat energy from the sun.
- Regularly replace air filters. Dirty air filters decrease air movement, thereby reducing the effectiveness of the air conditioner.
- Fully open the registers on the second floor and leave the first floor registers just slightly open. This helps to direct cooler air upstairs. Be sure not to close the first floor registers completely, however.
- Check all supply registers and move furniture as needed to guarantee that airflow is unrestricted.
- Use fans to circulate air so the cooler air is distributed throughout and doesn’t settle near the floor.
- Have the refrigerant levels in your air conditioner checked by an HVAC professional as part of routine A/C maintenance.
- Keep your outdoor A/C component clean. Turn off the outdoor unit, then gently clean debris away with a garden hose.
For more information on how to keep upstairs cool or to learn more about other home comfort issues, contact the pros at Apollo Home Heating, Cooling and Plumbing. Our experienced technicians have served the greater Cincinnati area since 1910. Need AC repair? Our HVAC technicians handle air conditioning repairs for any brand.
Image via Shutterstock.com
"Ernie & Mike did a superb job on my new furnace and A/C installation. Despite having more than a day’s work to do, they came in and stayed until the job was done. They were organized, efficient, and protected the rest of the house well. Got both furnace and A/C installed the same day. Ernie was courteous, informative, and clearly knew his job better than anyone I’ve encountered before. The units look so good guests now get The Tour of our new system. Apollo is clearly not a fly-by-night company. I would recommend them to anyone in need of a new furnace and/or A/C."
- Jerry A.
"I called Apollo because of a water leak I thought I had in our upstairs shower going into the kitchen. Robbie came and assured me everything was fine & looked at all the other plumbing. He ended up changing a few pipes for our washer & clearing a drain. He was very nice & knowledgeable with all my questions. I ended up signing up for the care plan & was very happy with my service."
- Cassandra B.
"The team at Apollo exceeded my expectations. As a business owner, my attention to the details and commitment to providing excellent service is high. From the sales rep. to the installation team, everyone’s performance was outstanding. For example, the installation team went to great lengths to protect our floors, placing floor runners and across the wood floors and up the stairs. They even were spot washing walls upon their departure. I highly recommend this company."
- Randy B.
"We scheduled an estimate AND a tune-up. We knew something was wrong with our furnace, but hoped we could make it through the rest of the season. Upon telling Bill what our furnace was doing, he warned us immediately what the possible outcome was going to be; a cracked heat exchanger. He watched the flames roll backward, tested carbon monoxide levels, which were so high they meter’s last reading was 5,600 before saying “high”. He immediately shut it down, tagged it, and explained that with levels that high and children in our home he wanted off right away. He continued his inspection and showed us via a camera that not only was it cracked in multiple places, but had holes all over it. He gave us a few options for repairing it; his knowledge as well as genuine concern was beneficial and refreshing. Luckily we also scheduled an estimator, Micah, to come too and we were able to get costs between repairing and replacing (with several options). We decided to replace with a much higher efficiency furnace and one sized properly to our home. Hands down, not only did they both provide us great service and knowledge, but without sounding dramatic, they may have saved our lives. This was our first time calling Apollo, but it won’t be our last."
- Sarah B.
"Apollo is an excellent company. I always receive great service. Alex A. was professional and friendly. He kept me informed during the process of checking my furnace and heat pump to make sure they were working properly. The company makes sure you are notified who is coming and when they are on the way. All my interactions with the company have been wonderful."
- Beverly S.