Sliding door problems can happen suddenly or develop slowly over a long period: one of those continuing annoyances you always mean to take care of but never have the time. Handyman services can get things back on the right track, literally. The track and roller system incorporated in most units is a major culprit in sliding door problems. However trouble can also arise in the latch/lock mechanism as well as the sliding screen component.
Sliding glass doors are extremely heavy, though you wouldn’t know it until you accidentally dislodge it from its track while trying to repair it yourself. That’s a really bad way to find out. Repairing sliding door problems is a job for a professional handyman. Here’s the kind of work you can expect from a handyman to get your door back to smooth operation.
- Tracks are a magnet for mud, leaves, pet hair and other debris. An accumulation of this matter gradually slows the door, making it hard to open with one hand. It can also cause it to jam entirely. After removing the door and putting it on padded sawhorses, the technician will remove each roller from its recess in the bottom of the door, identify any broken or bent rollers for replacement and clean and lubricate the rest.
- Using a vacuum, the service person will remove dirt and debris from the bottom and head tracks. Then he or she will clean the tracks with denatured alcohol. Spray silicone is sufficient lubricant for the head track; the bottom load-bearing track is usually coated with paraffin wax.
- Worn or torn weatherstripping where the two door panels overlap will be removed. New strips are normally glued in place and secured with small screws.
- After the door is remounted in the track, proper latch and lock operation are verified.
- The screen door will be tested for smooth action. Where it binds, the plastic lower and upper screen track are lubricated. If the track is cracked, warped or otherwise damaged, it can be removed and a replacement track glued into place.
In greater Cincinnati, contact Apollo Home Heating, Cooling and Plumbing for more information about handyman services for sliding door problems.
Image via Shutterstock.com
"Ernie & Mike did a superb job on my new furnace and A/C installation. Despite having more than a day’s work to do, they came in and stayed until the job was done. They were organized, efficient, and protected the rest of the house well. Got both furnace and A/C installed the same day. Ernie was courteous, informative, and clearly knew his job better than anyone I’ve encountered before. The units look so good guests now get The Tour of our new system. Apollo is clearly not a fly-by-night company. I would recommend them to anyone in need of a new furnace and/or A/C."
- Jerry A.
"I called Apollo because of a water leak I thought I had in our upstairs shower going into the kitchen. Robbie came and assured me everything was fine & looked at all the other plumbing. He ended up changing a few pipes for our washer & clearing a drain. He was very nice & knowledgeable with all my questions. I ended up signing up for the care plan & was very happy with my service."
- Cassandra B.
"The team at Apollo exceeded my expectations. As a business owner, my attention to the details and commitment to providing excellent service is high. From the sales rep. to the installation team, everyone’s performance was outstanding. For example, the installation team went to great lengths to protect our floors, placing floor runners and across the wood floors and up the stairs. They even were spot washing walls upon their departure. I highly recommend this company."
- Randy B.
"We scheduled an estimate AND a tune-up. We knew something was wrong with our furnace, but hoped we could make it through the rest of the season. Upon telling Bill what our furnace was doing, he warned us immediately what the possible outcome was going to be; a cracked heat exchanger. He watched the flames roll backward, tested carbon monoxide levels, which were so high they meter’s last reading was 5,600 before saying “high”. He immediately shut it down, tagged it, and explained that with levels that high and children in our home he wanted off right away. He continued his inspection and showed us via a camera that not only was it cracked in multiple places, but had holes all over it. He gave us a few options for repairing it; his knowledge as well as genuine concern was beneficial and refreshing. Luckily we also scheduled an estimator, Micah, to come too and we were able to get costs between repairing and replacing (with several options). We decided to replace with a much higher efficiency furnace and one sized properly to our home. Hands down, not only did they both provide us great service and knowledge, but without sounding dramatic, they may have saved our lives. This was our first time calling Apollo, but it won’t be our last."
- Sarah B.
"Apollo is an excellent company. I always receive great service. Alex A. was professional and friendly. He kept me informed during the process of checking my furnace and heat pump to make sure they were working properly. The company makes sure you are notified who is coming and when they are on the way. All my interactions with the company have been wonderful."
- Beverly S.