How To Set Your Programmable Thermostat For Maximum Energy Savings
A few tips on how to set your programmable thermostat can save you time, trouble and energy.
Fact is, it’s hard to keep up with the changing hour-to-hour cooling requirements of a home. Constantly adjusting and readjusting a manual thermostat results in inefficient operation and wastes energy, not to mention time. A few minutes spent setting a programmable thermostat to monitor and adjust cooling and heating 7 Days a week takes that chore out of your hands and also enhances system performance, maximizes efficiency and makes household temperatures more consistent.
Learn how to set your programmable thermostat with these five guidelines.
- Maintain the thermostat’s built-in energy-saving settings for time spans of at least eight hours, if possible. Minimizing programming changes during times when the home is unoccupied or residents are asleep keeps temperatures consistent, reduces on/off cycles of the air conditioner and saves energy.
- If you need to briefly deviate from programmed settings, use the temporary override feature on your programmable thermostat instead of erasing the settings. The override will auto-cancel at the next programming period and return to normal programming.
- Use the vacation hold feature to maintain temperatures while you’re away for more than a couple of days. Program the temperature several degrees above normal during summer — 85 degrees is usually preferable — for the time you’re gone.
- If the house is too warm, avoid pushing the thermostat setting down too far for quick cooling. It won’t work. Many programmable units use adaptive recovery technology that signals the thermostat to start the A/C well in advance of the time you’ve programmed a certain temperature, based on heat conditions in the home. This ensures a gradual, energy-saving cooldown, adjusted to daily temperature variations. Adaptive recovery maintains a memory of daily on/off times to accurately calculate start-up times.
- If your home has more than one cooling or heating zone, install at least one dedicated programmable thermostat in each zone.
At Apollo Home Heating, Cooling and Plumbing in Cincinnati, we have a proven track record. Call us at (513) 268-8400 for more advice on how to set your programmable thermostat for maximum comfort and savings.
"Ernie & Mike did a superb job on my new furnace and A/C installation. Despite having more than a day’s work to do, they came in and stayed until the job was done. They were organized, efficient, and protected the rest of the house well. Got both furnace and A/C installed the same day. Ernie was courteous, informative, and clearly knew his job better than anyone I’ve encountered before. The units look so good guests now get The Tour of our new system. Apollo is clearly not a fly-by-night company. I would recommend them to anyone in need of a new furnace and/or A/C."
- Jerry A.
"I called Apollo because of a water leak I thought I had in our upstairs shower going into the kitchen. Robbie came and assured me everything was fine & looked at all the other plumbing. He ended up changing a few pipes for our washer & clearing a drain. He was very nice & knowledgeable with all my questions. I ended up signing up for the care plan & was very happy with my service."
- Cassandra B.
"The team at Apollo exceeded my expectations. As a business owner, my attention to the details and commitment to providing excellent service is high. From the sales rep. to the installation team, everyone’s performance was outstanding. For example, the installation team went to great lengths to protect our floors, placing floor runners and across the wood floors and up the stairs. They even were spot washing walls upon their departure. I highly recommend this company."
- Randy B.
"We scheduled an estimate AND a tune-up. We knew something was wrong with our furnace, but hoped we could make it through the rest of the season. Upon telling Bill what our furnace was doing, he warned us immediately what the possible outcome was going to be; a cracked heat exchanger. He watched the flames roll backward, tested carbon monoxide levels, which were so high they meter’s last reading was 5,600 before saying “high”. He immediately shut it down, tagged it, and explained that with levels that high and children in our home he wanted off right away. He continued his inspection and showed us via a camera that not only was it cracked in multiple places, but had holes all over it. He gave us a few options for repairing it; his knowledge as well as genuine concern was beneficial and refreshing. Luckily we also scheduled an estimator, Micah, to come too and we were able to get costs between repairing and replacing (with several options). We decided to replace with a much higher efficiency furnace and one sized properly to our home. Hands down, not only did they both provide us great service and knowledge, but without sounding dramatic, they may have saved our lives. This was our first time calling Apollo, but it won’t be our last."
- Sarah B.
"Apollo is an excellent company. I always receive great service. Alex A. was professional and friendly. He kept me informed during the process of checking my furnace and heat pump to make sure they were working properly. The company makes sure you are notified who is coming and when they are on the way. All my interactions with the company have been wonderful."
- Beverly S.