Hiring a service person almost always requires a leap of faith, but you can make that leap less stressful by taking five proactive steps to validate a company’s work history.
These steps are especially important if you’re hiring a plumber in the greater Cincinnati area, since plumbing can be tricky, complicated work:
- Secure references from the plumber and verify them. Specifically ask for the names of customers whose homes presented unforeseen challenges so that you can learn how the plumber resolved them.
- Obtain the name of the “master plumber” for the company as well as his or her license number. This number will be preceded by an “M,” which stands for master plumber.
- Call the Ohio Construction Industry Licensing Board to verify both the master plumber license number and that he or she has a certificate of insurance on file. The board issues state licenses to contractors who work in the electrical, HVAC, hydronics, plumbing and refrigeration trades. The number to call is 614-644-2223.
- Call your municipal plumbing evaluation department to learn about the company’s track record. Ask if any complaints have been filed against the company and ensure that the company is free to conduct business in your area.
- Ask for a written estimate of the plumbing job that addresses the scope of the work, any equipment to be installed, the duration of the project and its cost. This estimate may become your contract; if so, ensure that it also includes warranty information.
It may seem obvious, but don’t forget to make sure that the plumber signs the estimate, thereby making it enforceable. Some shady contractors have been exposed for deliberately not signing work estimates; then, if something goes wrong and a homeowner demands restitution, the contractor claims that he or she should not be held responsible.
Fear of such scams have prompted thousands of homeowners to call Apollo Home Heating, Cooling & Plumbing. We’ve been in business since 1910 and believe our longevity speaks volumes about how we treat customers — like the extended family they really are. When you’re looking for the very best when hiring a plumber in greater Cincinnati, call the Apollo Home experts.
Image via Shutterstock.com
"Ernie & Mike did a superb job on my new furnace and A/C installation. Despite having more than a day’s work to do, they came in and stayed until the job was done. They were organized, efficient, and protected the rest of the house well. Got both furnace and A/C installed the same day. Ernie was courteous, informative, and clearly knew his job better than anyone I’ve encountered before. The units look so good guests now get The Tour of our new system. Apollo is clearly not a fly-by-night company. I would recommend them to anyone in need of a new furnace and/or A/C."
- Jerry A.
"I called Apollo because of a water leak I thought I had in our upstairs shower going into the kitchen. Robbie came and assured me everything was fine & looked at all the other plumbing. He ended up changing a few pipes for our washer & clearing a drain. He was very nice & knowledgeable with all my questions. I ended up signing up for the care plan & was very happy with my service."
- Cassandra B.
"The team at Apollo exceeded my expectations. As a business owner, my attention to the details and commitment to providing excellent service is high. From the sales rep. to the installation team, everyone’s performance was outstanding. For example, the installation team went to great lengths to protect our floors, placing floor runners and across the wood floors and up the stairs. They even were spot washing walls upon their departure. I highly recommend this company."
- Randy B.
"We scheduled an estimate AND a tune-up. We knew something was wrong with our furnace, but hoped we could make it through the rest of the season. Upon telling Bill what our furnace was doing, he warned us immediately what the possible outcome was going to be; a cracked heat exchanger. He watched the flames roll backward, tested carbon monoxide levels, which were so high they meter’s last reading was 5,600 before saying “high”. He immediately shut it down, tagged it, and explained that with levels that high and children in our home he wanted off right away. He continued his inspection and showed us via a camera that not only was it cracked in multiple places, but had holes all over it. He gave us a few options for repairing it; his knowledge as well as genuine concern was beneficial and refreshing. Luckily we also scheduled an estimator, Micah, to come too and we were able to get costs between repairing and replacing (with several options). We decided to replace with a much higher efficiency furnace and one sized properly to our home. Hands down, not only did they both provide us great service and knowledge, but without sounding dramatic, they may have saved our lives. This was our first time calling Apollo, but it won’t be our last."
- Sarah B.
"Apollo is an excellent company. I always receive great service. Alex A. was professional and friendly. He kept me informed during the process of checking my furnace and heat pump to make sure they were working properly. The company makes sure you are notified who is coming and when they are on the way. All my interactions with the company have been wonderful."
- Beverly S.