There could be a killer lurking in your home, and you may not even know it. Carbon monoxide (CO) is one of the most insidious pollutants there is, causing of thousands of emergency room visits and hundreds of preventable deaths in the U.S. each year. To help keep your family safe, you must be diligent in preventing carbon monoxide poisoning in your home.
7 Important Facts About Carbon Monoxide
- Carbon monoxide can accumulate inside your house without you being able to notice it because this deadly gas is odorless and colorless. Common sources of carbon monoxide include heating and cooling systems, gas stoves, vehicles, small gas engines and burning wood and charcoal.
- Install a battery-operated CO detector in your home, and change the batteries every year. One easy way to help you remember to change them is to do it when you change the time on your clocks every spring or fall. If the alarms ever sounds, leave the home right away and call for help on a cell phone or a neighbor’s phone.
- Have all gas-, oil- and coal-burning appliances inspected and serviced every year by a trained professional. The contractor can make sure the appliances are operating safely and are vented properly.
- Diagnosing CO poisoning can be difficult because many of the symptoms – such as headaches, nausea, chest pain, weakness and dizziness – are experienced with other illnesses. Seek immediate medical attention if you experience any symptoms.
- Any person can fall victim to CO poisoning, but fetuses, babies and those with health issues such as heart disease and respiratory problems are especially vulnerable.
- Have the chimney looked at and/or cleaned every year.
- Don’t run a car or truck inside an attached garage, even with the garage door open.
For more information on carbon monoxide, or to have one of our expert handymen inspect your home appliances, please contact Apollo Home.
Image via Shutterstock.com
"Ernie & Mike did a superb job on my new furnace and A/C installation. Despite having more than a day’s work to do, they came in and stayed until the job was done. They were organized, efficient, and protected the rest of the house well. Got both furnace and A/C installed the same day. Ernie was courteous, informative, and clearly knew his job better than anyone I’ve encountered before. The units look so good guests now get The Tour of our new system. Apollo is clearly not a fly-by-night company. I would recommend them to anyone in need of a new furnace and/or A/C."
- Jerry A.
"I called Apollo because of a water leak I thought I had in our upstairs shower going into the kitchen. Robbie came and assured me everything was fine & looked at all the other plumbing. He ended up changing a few pipes for our washer & clearing a drain. He was very nice & knowledgeable with all my questions. I ended up signing up for the care plan & was very happy with my service."
- Cassandra B.
"The team at Apollo exceeded my expectations. As a business owner, my attention to the details and commitment to providing excellent service is high. From the sales rep. to the installation team, everyone’s performance was outstanding. For example, the installation team went to great lengths to protect our floors, placing floor runners and across the wood floors and up the stairs. They even were spot washing walls upon their departure. I highly recommend this company."
- Randy B.
"We scheduled an estimate AND a tune-up. We knew something was wrong with our furnace, but hoped we could make it through the rest of the season. Upon telling Bill what our furnace was doing, he warned us immediately what the possible outcome was going to be; a cracked heat exchanger. He watched the flames roll backward, tested carbon monoxide levels, which were so high they meter’s last reading was 5,600 before saying “high”. He immediately shut it down, tagged it, and explained that with levels that high and children in our home he wanted off right away. He continued his inspection and showed us via a camera that not only was it cracked in multiple places, but had holes all over it. He gave us a few options for repairing it; his knowledge as well as genuine concern was beneficial and refreshing. Luckily we also scheduled an estimator, Micah, to come too and we were able to get costs between repairing and replacing (with several options). We decided to replace with a much higher efficiency furnace and one sized properly to our home. Hands down, not only did they both provide us great service and knowledge, but without sounding dramatic, they may have saved our lives. This was our first time calling Apollo, but it won’t be our last."
- Sarah B.
"Apollo is an excellent company. I always receive great service. Alex A. was professional and friendly. He kept me informed during the process of checking my furnace and heat pump to make sure they were working properly. The company makes sure you are notified who is coming and when they are on the way. All my interactions with the company have been wonderful."
- Beverly S.