Think You Need a Furnace Replacement? 8 Giveaway Signs
No one wants to deal with furnace replacement. In many cases, it comes as an unexpected event, but it doesn’t have to. There are ways to anticipate furnace failure ahead of time and actually plan for any problems.
Giveaway Signs of Furnace Replacement
- Age: Find out how old your furnace is by looking at the owner’s manual or with the help of an HVAC professional. Most furnaces have an operation time of 20 to 30 years. Even if it’s a young 15 years or so, you might want to consider a replacement with an Energy Star-qualified furnace, as a newer model can be some 15 percent efficient.
- Low energy efficiency rating – Annual fuel utilization efficiency (AFUE) ratings will tell you how much energy your furnace is converting into heat. For example, an AFUE rating of 60 means that your home is using 60 percent of fuel. 40 percent escapes as exhaust. The most efficient furnaces have an AFUE in the 90s.
- Frequent repairs: If you find that you’re having multiple visits from your trusted HVAC company, you’re spending money better spent on a new, efficient unit.
- Energy bill increases: If you’re using the same amount of fuel but your bills are increasing, improper equipment operation, inadequate insulation or duct problems may be to blame.
- Noise: A loose duct can be a simple repair. Pressure issues may cause whizzing sounds, and other sounds are indicative of a variety of issues. If it’s ongoing, noises should be looked at by a trusted professional.
- Uneven room heating: Your furnace isn’t working efficiently if some rooms are colder or hotter. This is often caused by humidity or dryness issues.
- Repeated cycling: If your furnace is kicking on and off repeatedly, this could be due to damage or cracks to the unit.
- Thermostats – A programmable thermostat helps the average homeowner save on energy bills by reducing consumption when the home is empty, particularly for several hours at a time.
Apollo Home Heating, Cooling and Plumbing has been serving the HVAC and plumbing needs of homeowners in the greater Cincinnati area since 1910. Contact us today for help determining if furnace replacement is necessary in your home.
Image via Shutterstock.com
"Ernie & Mike did a superb job on my new furnace and A/C installation. Despite having more than a day’s work to do, they came in and stayed until the job was done. They were organized, efficient, and protected the rest of the house well. Got both furnace and A/C installed the same day. Ernie was courteous, informative, and clearly knew his job better than anyone I’ve encountered before. The units look so good guests now get The Tour of our new system. Apollo is clearly not a fly-by-night company. I would recommend them to anyone in need of a new furnace and/or A/C."
- Jerry A.
"I called Apollo because of a water leak I thought I had in our upstairs shower going into the kitchen. Robbie came and assured me everything was fine & looked at all the other plumbing. He ended up changing a few pipes for our washer & clearing a drain. He was very nice & knowledgeable with all my questions. I ended up signing up for the care plan & was very happy with my service."
- Cassandra B.
"The team at Apollo exceeded my expectations. As a business owner, my attention to the details and commitment to providing excellent service is high. From the sales rep. to the installation team, everyone’s performance was outstanding. For example, the installation team went to great lengths to protect our floors, placing floor runners and across the wood floors and up the stairs. They even were spot washing walls upon their departure. I highly recommend this company."
- Randy B.
"We scheduled an estimate AND a tune-up. We knew something was wrong with our furnace, but hoped we could make it through the rest of the season. Upon telling Bill what our furnace was doing, he warned us immediately what the possible outcome was going to be; a cracked heat exchanger. He watched the flames roll backward, tested carbon monoxide levels, which were so high they meter’s last reading was 5,600 before saying “high”. He immediately shut it down, tagged it, and explained that with levels that high and children in our home he wanted off right away. He continued his inspection and showed us via a camera that not only was it cracked in multiple places, but had holes all over it. He gave us a few options for repairing it; his knowledge as well as genuine concern was beneficial and refreshing. Luckily we also scheduled an estimator, Micah, to come too and we were able to get costs between repairing and replacing (with several options). We decided to replace with a much higher efficiency furnace and one sized properly to our home. Hands down, not only did they both provide us great service and knowledge, but without sounding dramatic, they may have saved our lives. This was our first time calling Apollo, but it won’t be our last."
- Sarah B.
"Apollo is an excellent company. I always receive great service. Alex A. was professional and friendly. He kept me informed during the process of checking my furnace and heat pump to make sure they were working properly. The company makes sure you are notified who is coming and when they are on the way. All my interactions with the company have been wonderful."
- Beverly S.