What’s Your Expert Likely to Do During a Furnace Inspection?
Now that the heat of summer has passed, it’s time to start thinking about the upcoming heating season, which will be all too soon in the Cincinnati area. While the weather is still mild and your HVAC contractor is between busy seasons, it’s a good idea to schedule a fall furnace evaluation and have routine maintenance performed on your system.
What the Pros Will Do During a Furnace Inspection
Here are some of the steps that are commonly performed during a professional furnace evaluation:
- Clean the blower fan: A pro will remove all surface dust from the fan blades and housing, and lubricate the pulleys and the blower motor bearings, if possible. He or she will also make sure the belt is in good condition and that it’s properly aligned.
- Check the burners: The tech will remove surface rust, dirt and soot from the burners with a tiff brush and a vacuum. With the furnace on, he or she will check the flame height and color and make adjustments as necessary. The pilot light will also be checked and adjusted
- Inspect the heat exchanger: He or she will check for cracks or holes in the heat exchanger. A leaking heat exchanger can allow carbon monoxide to flow into the home.
What Homeowners Can Do
These tasks can be tackled by most homeowners to keep the system running efficiently:
- Check the air filter: Remove the air filter and inspect it. If it’s clogged or excessively dirty, replace the filter with the same type if it’s disposable. If it’s reusable, simply clean and replace it. The filter should be checked at least once a month during the heating season.
- Test the thermostat: Make sure the thermostat turns the furnace on and off at the correct temperatures and that it’s set correctly. Replace the batteries in the thermostat, if equipped.
- Clean air registers: Clean both the supply and return registers and make sure that the dampers are set correctly and that nothing like furniture or curtains impede the airflow.
To schedule your professional fall furnace evaluation, contact our home heating experts at Apollo Home Heating, Cooling and Plumbing today. We’ve served the greater Cincinnati region since 1910.
Image via Shutterstock.com
"Ernie & Mike did a superb job on my new furnace and A/C installation. Despite having more than a day’s work to do, they came in and stayed until the job was done. They were organized, efficient, and protected the rest of the house well. Got both furnace and A/C installed the same day. Ernie was courteous, informative, and clearly knew his job better than anyone I’ve encountered before. The units look so good guests now get The Tour of our new system. Apollo is clearly not a fly-by-night company. I would recommend them to anyone in need of a new furnace and/or A/C."
- Jerry A.
"I called Apollo because of a water leak I thought I had in our upstairs shower going into the kitchen. Robbie came and assured me everything was fine & looked at all the other plumbing. He ended up changing a few pipes for our washer & clearing a drain. He was very nice & knowledgeable with all my questions. I ended up signing up for the care plan & was very happy with my service."
- Cassandra B.
"The team at Apollo exceeded my expectations. As a business owner, my attention to the details and commitment to providing excellent service is high. From the sales rep. to the installation team, everyone’s performance was outstanding. For example, the installation team went to great lengths to protect our floors, placing floor runners and across the wood floors and up the stairs. They even were spot washing walls upon their departure. I highly recommend this company."
- Randy B.
"We scheduled an estimate AND a tune-up. We knew something was wrong with our furnace, but hoped we could make it through the rest of the season. Upon telling Bill what our furnace was doing, he warned us immediately what the possible outcome was going to be; a cracked heat exchanger. He watched the flames roll backward, tested carbon monoxide levels, which were so high they meter’s last reading was 5,600 before saying “high”. He immediately shut it down, tagged it, and explained that with levels that high and children in our home he wanted off right away. He continued his inspection and showed us via a camera that not only was it cracked in multiple places, but had holes all over it. He gave us a few options for repairing it; his knowledge as well as genuine concern was beneficial and refreshing. Luckily we also scheduled an estimator, Micah, to come too and we were able to get costs between repairing and replacing (with several options). We decided to replace with a much higher efficiency furnace and one sized properly to our home. Hands down, not only did they both provide us great service and knowledge, but without sounding dramatic, they may have saved our lives. This was our first time calling Apollo, but it won’t be our last."
- Sarah B.
"Apollo is an excellent company. I always receive great service. Alex A. was professional and friendly. He kept me informed during the process of checking my furnace and heat pump to make sure they were working properly. The company makes sure you are notified who is coming and when they are on the way. All my interactions with the company have been wonderful."
- Beverly S.