Ensure Your Family’s Safety With Properly Placed Carbon Monoxide Detectors

Most everyone has smoke detectors in their homes, but carbon monoxide detectors often get overlooked.

Unfortunately, carbon monoxide (CO) is more dangerous than people realize. It can cause flu-like symptoms that are typically resolved after leaving the affected area, but they can be fatal.

Other symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning can include:

  • Impaired vision and coordination
  • Headaches and dizziness
  • Confusion
  • Nausea
  • Chest pain and shortness of breath
  • Fatigue

The severity of these symptoms is affected by the levels of CO and the duration of exposure. Because symptoms typically mimic the flu in the initial stages, CO poisoning can be easily misdiagnosed, which can lead to fatality.

Carbon monoxide is extremely difficult to detect since it’s colorless and odorless. CO levels can continually increase without the homeowner’s knowledge without the use of properly functioning detectors.

Common Sources of Carbon Monoxide

The most common source of this poisonous gas is the exhaust from an automobile which can enter the home from an attached garage. But there are also a number of different appliances in the home that can be a source of carbon monoxide, most of which are gas powered. These include:

  • Gas and wood stoves
  • Fireplaces
  • Gas and unvented kerosene space heaters
  • Furnaces that leak exhaust into the home, also known as back-drafting
  • Chimneys that back-draft
  • Gas water heaters
  • Tobacco smoke

How to Avoid Carbon Monoxide Poisoning

The best treatment for poisoning by carbon monoxide is prevention. Ensure that all gas appliances are installed by qualified technicians and have furnaces and chimneys inspected annually for leaks and blockages.

Installing carbon monoxide detectors in the home is another way to prevent poisoning, but they don’t guarantee safety. These devices alert household members to rising carbon monoxide levels with an audible sound.

All carbon monoxide detectors must meet the current UL 2034 requirements and should be installed near the ceiling in hallways close to sleeping areas.

Apollo Home Heating, Cooling and Plumbing has been serving homeowners in the Cincinnati area since 1910. For more information about carbon monoxide detectors and other home comfort concerns, contact our team today!

Image via Shutterstock.com

"Ernie & Mike did a superb job on my new furnace and A/C installation. Despite having more than a day’s work to do, they came in and stayed until the job was done. They were organized, efficient, and protected the rest of the house well. Got both furnace and A/C installed the same day. Ernie was courteous, informative, and clearly knew his job better than anyone I’ve encountered before. The units look so good guests now get The Tour of our new system. Apollo is clearly not a fly-by-night company. I would recommend them to anyone in need of a new furnace and/or A/C."
- Jerry A.
"I called Apollo because of a water leak I thought I had in our upstairs shower going into the kitchen. Robbie came and assured me everything was fine & looked at all the other plumbing. He ended up changing a few pipes for our washer & clearing a drain. He was very nice & knowledgeable with all my questions. I ended up signing up for the care plan & was very happy with my service."
- Cassandra B.
"The team at Apollo exceeded my expectations. As a business owner, my attention to the details and commitment to providing excellent service is high. From the sales rep. to the installation team, everyone’s performance was outstanding. For example, the installation team went to great lengths to protect our floors, placing floor runners and across the wood floors and up the stairs. They even were spot washing walls upon their departure. I highly recommend this company."
- Randy B.
"We scheduled an estimate AND a tune-up. We knew something was wrong with our furnace, but hoped we could make it through the rest of the season. Upon telling Bill what our furnace was doing, he warned us immediately what the possible outcome was going to be; a cracked heat exchanger. He watched the flames roll backward, tested carbon monoxide levels, which were so high they meter’s last reading was 5,600 before saying “high”. He immediately shut it down, tagged it, and explained that with levels that high and children in our home he wanted off right away. He continued his inspection and showed us via a camera that not only was it cracked in multiple places, but had holes all over it. He gave us a few options for repairing it; his knowledge as well as genuine concern was beneficial and refreshing. Luckily we also scheduled an estimator, Micah, to come too and we were able to get costs between repairing and replacing (with several options). We decided to replace with a much higher efficiency furnace and one sized properly to our home. Hands down, not only did they both provide us great service and knowledge, but without sounding dramatic, they may have saved our lives. This was our first time calling Apollo, but it won’t be our last."
- Sarah B.
"Apollo is an excellent company. I always receive great service. Alex A. was professional and friendly. He kept me informed during the process of checking my furnace and heat pump to make sure they were working properly. The company makes sure you are notified who is coming and when they are on the way. All my interactions with the company have been wonderful."
- Beverly S.
    Image

    Financing

    Image

    Apollo Care Plan