5 Decisions That May Void That Valuable HVAC Warranty
With an investment as great as an HVAC system, it’s reassuring to know that manufacturers back their heating and cooling equipment with a warranty. Maintaining the validity of this document isn’t hard, but it does require that you understand the terms and conditions of the agreement and the importance of regular professional maintenance. Voiding an HVAC warranty is easier than you think, but it’s also preventable, as long as you refrain from making these five common mistakes.
The specifics of a warranty may vary between manufacturers, but similarities do exist:
- Lack of control over installation means you won’t find a warranty that covers parts and labor for the life of the equipment.
- Most agreements only cover parts verified to be defective by a licensed contractor.
- Only major parts are typically covered, leaving the homeowner responsible for the cost of air filters, lubrication, electrical wiring and more.
What Voids an HVAC Warranty?
- Not registering the warranty. Determine if you need to register the document and within what time frame. Late registration can lead to voiding an HVAC warranty or significantly reducing its length.
- Failing to ensure proper installation. Hire a reputable, licensed contractor for new installation. Ask for recommendations from family and friends, and check references and credentials before making your selection.
- Using aftermarket replacement parts. Aftermarket parts may be cheaper, but they can cost you more in the long run. Most manufacturers won’t guarantee another company’s products and using them may nullify an HVAC warranty.
- Skipping out on annual maintenance. Having HVAC equipment inspected, cleaned and tuned each year can help increase efficiency and comfort and prevent major repairs. Failure to do so may also void the warranty due to neglect.
- Throwing away receipts. The manufacturer may ask for proof of maintenance or repairs, so it’s important you keep all receipts and know where they are.
Voiding an HVAC warranty can be a costly mistake. For reliable, professional installation and maintenance, contact Apollo Home Heating, Cooling and Plumbing. We’ve been providing quality service to homeowners in the greater Cincinnati area for over a century.
Image via Shutterstock.com
"Ernie & Mike did a superb job on my new furnace and A/C installation. Despite having more than a day’s work to do, they came in and stayed until the job was done. They were organized, efficient, and protected the rest of the house well. Got both furnace and A/C installed the same day. Ernie was courteous, informative, and clearly knew his job better than anyone I’ve encountered before. The units look so good guests now get The Tour of our new system. Apollo is clearly not a fly-by-night company. I would recommend them to anyone in need of a new furnace and/or A/C."
- Jerry A.
"I called Apollo because of a water leak I thought I had in our upstairs shower going into the kitchen. Robbie came and assured me everything was fine & looked at all the other plumbing. He ended up changing a few pipes for our washer & clearing a drain. He was very nice & knowledgeable with all my questions. I ended up signing up for the care plan & was very happy with my service."
- Cassandra B.
"The team at Apollo exceeded my expectations. As a business owner, my attention to the details and commitment to providing excellent service is high. From the sales rep. to the installation team, everyone’s performance was outstanding. For example, the installation team went to great lengths to protect our floors, placing floor runners and across the wood floors and up the stairs. They even were spot washing walls upon their departure. I highly recommend this company."
- Randy B.
"We scheduled an estimate AND a tune-up. We knew something was wrong with our furnace, but hoped we could make it through the rest of the season. Upon telling Bill what our furnace was doing, he warned us immediately what the possible outcome was going to be; a cracked heat exchanger. He watched the flames roll backward, tested carbon monoxide levels, which were so high they meter’s last reading was 5,600 before saying “high”. He immediately shut it down, tagged it, and explained that with levels that high and children in our home he wanted off right away. He continued his inspection and showed us via a camera that not only was it cracked in multiple places, but had holes all over it. He gave us a few options for repairing it; his knowledge as well as genuine concern was beneficial and refreshing. Luckily we also scheduled an estimator, Micah, to come too and we were able to get costs between repairing and replacing (with several options). We decided to replace with a much higher efficiency furnace and one sized properly to our home. Hands down, not only did they both provide us great service and knowledge, but without sounding dramatic, they may have saved our lives. This was our first time calling Apollo, but it won’t be our last."
- Sarah B.
"Apollo is an excellent company. I always receive great service. Alex A. was professional and friendly. He kept me informed during the process of checking my furnace and heat pump to make sure they were working properly. The company makes sure you are notified who is coming and when they are on the way. All my interactions with the company have been wonderful."
- Beverly S.