As you’re going about spring cleaning in your Cincinnati home, you won’t want to overlook a home safety checklist that helps rid your home of dangerous hazards that may compromise your family’s safety.
It won’t take you very long to complete this simple checklist, and a minimal effort might just prevent a disaster.
Electrical hazard home safety tips
- Check any extension cords or appliance cords for frays or cracks and replace if needed.
- Look for overloaded outlets. There should only be one plug per outlet.
- Remove any cords that run over heaters, pipes or under carpets or rugs.
- Cover any exposed wiring you come across.
- If you have any appliances that occasionally overheat or short out, repair or replace them. There’s no need to take a chance of a potential devastating accident.
Home safety surrounding chemical hazards
- Be sure that any containers which contain flammable liquids, like gasoline or paint thinner, are stored in approved containers in well-ventilated areas away from your home.
- If you must store flammable items inside your home, be sure they’re kept away from children, gas appliances, heat sources and open flames, and only store them in approved containers.
- Oily rags should be stored in a sealed, metal container.
- Educate your family about the danger of using flammable materials for cleaning or starting fires indoors.
Prevent potential fire hazards
- Don’t allow flammable materials to stack up in your home. Throw away old newspapers, rags or other combustible materials after use.
- Don’t store clothes, extra linens, bedding or other flammable materials near electrical equipment, gas appliances or your furnace.
- Remove all yard waste such as leaves, tree branches and grass cuttings from your property.
- Check to ensure that your chimney, flu pipe, dryer and gas vents are clean and have adequate airflow.
- If you have a portable heater, make sure the automatic shutoff is working properly and the heater is placed on a level surface, away from high-traffic areas.
If you have any questions about home safety, please contact Apollo Home Heating, Cooling and Plumbing. We proudly serve homeowners in and around the greater Cincinnati area.
Image via Shutterstock.com
"Ernie & Mike did a superb job on my new furnace and A/C installation. Despite having more than a day’s work to do, they came in and stayed until the job was done. They were organized, efficient, and protected the rest of the house well. Got both furnace and A/C installed the same day. Ernie was courteous, informative, and clearly knew his job better than anyone I’ve encountered before. The units look so good guests now get The Tour of our new system. Apollo is clearly not a fly-by-night company. I would recommend them to anyone in need of a new furnace and/or A/C."
- Jerry A.
"I called Apollo because of a water leak I thought I had in our upstairs shower going into the kitchen. Robbie came and assured me everything was fine & looked at all the other plumbing. He ended up changing a few pipes for our washer & clearing a drain. He was very nice & knowledgeable with all my questions. I ended up signing up for the care plan & was very happy with my service."
- Cassandra B.
"The team at Apollo exceeded my expectations. As a business owner, my attention to the details and commitment to providing excellent service is high. From the sales rep. to the installation team, everyone’s performance was outstanding. For example, the installation team went to great lengths to protect our floors, placing floor runners and across the wood floors and up the stairs. They even were spot washing walls upon their departure. I highly recommend this company."
- Randy B.
"We scheduled an estimate AND a tune-up. We knew something was wrong with our furnace, but hoped we could make it through the rest of the season. Upon telling Bill what our furnace was doing, he warned us immediately what the possible outcome was going to be; a cracked heat exchanger. He watched the flames roll backward, tested carbon monoxide levels, which were so high they meter’s last reading was 5,600 before saying “high”. He immediately shut it down, tagged it, and explained that with levels that high and children in our home he wanted off right away. He continued his inspection and showed us via a camera that not only was it cracked in multiple places, but had holes all over it. He gave us a few options for repairing it; his knowledge as well as genuine concern was beneficial and refreshing. Luckily we also scheduled an estimator, Micah, to come too and we were able to get costs between repairing and replacing (with several options). We decided to replace with a much higher efficiency furnace and one sized properly to our home. Hands down, not only did they both provide us great service and knowledge, but without sounding dramatic, they may have saved our lives. This was our first time calling Apollo, but it won’t be our last."
- Sarah B.
"Apollo is an excellent company. I always receive great service. Alex A. was professional and friendly. He kept me informed during the process of checking my furnace and heat pump to make sure they were working properly. The company makes sure you are notified who is coming and when they are on the way. All my interactions with the company have been wonderful."
- Beverly S.