Drywall not only helps frame a room, but it also provides a blank canvas for the homeowner. Done correctly, the end result is a seamless finish that becomes one with the rest of the home. There are, however, some common drywall mistakes that can leave you less than satisfied with the results, unless the drywall is installed by a seasoned professional.
Common Drywall Mistakes to Avoid
- A lack of patience – Not waiting long enough in between coats of mud can lead to problems, as the new mud may not adhere to the old, or the excess moisture from the new coat lifts the tape.
- Shoddy cleaning techniques – Keeping tools such as the hawk or knife clean is reflected in the end product as leftover dried mud can mar the new finish. Periodic washing with warm water and scraping off residual mud between coats will solve the problem.
- Poor preparation – One of the most common drywall mistakes during a new build or renovation is the failure to provide a flat plane on which to hang the material. Taking the time to shim the studs to create an even surface will prevent sunken drywall screws, bulges, bumps and shadows or inconsistencies at the seams.
- A shortage of mud – When using a paper tape, it’s important to begin with a generous layer of mud underneath, removing the excess after the application of the tape. This technique helps guarantee the tape will stick and won’t lift upon application of the second coat.
- Disregarding the edges – Taking the time to pre-feather the edges with applied pressure on the edge of the knife during mud application and thoroughly sanding seam edges until they’re blurred are the best ways to avoid visible seams after painting.
Avoid common drywall mistakes by hiring a professional handyman. The experts at Apollo Home Heating, Cooling and Plumbing have been providing top quality service to customers in the greater Cincinnati area since 1910.
Image via Shutterstock.com
"Ernie & Mike did a superb job on my new furnace and A/C installation. Despite having more than a day’s work to do, they came in and stayed until the job was done. They were organized, efficient, and protected the rest of the house well. Got both furnace and A/C installed the same day. Ernie was courteous, informative, and clearly knew his job better than anyone I’ve encountered before. The units look so good guests now get The Tour of our new system. Apollo is clearly not a fly-by-night company. I would recommend them to anyone in need of a new furnace and/or A/C."
- Jerry A.
"I called Apollo because of a water leak I thought I had in our upstairs shower going into the kitchen. Robbie came and assured me everything was fine & looked at all the other plumbing. He ended up changing a few pipes for our washer & clearing a drain. He was very nice & knowledgeable with all my questions. I ended up signing up for the care plan & was very happy with my service."
- Cassandra B.
"The team at Apollo exceeded my expectations. As a business owner, my attention to the details and commitment to providing excellent service is high. From the sales rep. to the installation team, everyone’s performance was outstanding. For example, the installation team went to great lengths to protect our floors, placing floor runners and across the wood floors and up the stairs. They even were spot washing walls upon their departure. I highly recommend this company."
- Randy B.
"We scheduled an estimate AND a tune-up. We knew something was wrong with our furnace, but hoped we could make it through the rest of the season. Upon telling Bill what our furnace was doing, he warned us immediately what the possible outcome was going to be; a cracked heat exchanger. He watched the flames roll backward, tested carbon monoxide levels, which were so high they meter’s last reading was 5,600 before saying “high”. He immediately shut it down, tagged it, and explained that with levels that high and children in our home he wanted off right away. He continued his inspection and showed us via a camera that not only was it cracked in multiple places, but had holes all over it. He gave us a few options for repairing it; his knowledge as well as genuine concern was beneficial and refreshing. Luckily we also scheduled an estimator, Micah, to come too and we were able to get costs between repairing and replacing (with several options). We decided to replace with a much higher efficiency furnace and one sized properly to our home. Hands down, not only did they both provide us great service and knowledge, but without sounding dramatic, they may have saved our lives. This was our first time calling Apollo, but it won’t be our last."
- Sarah B.
"Apollo is an excellent company. I always receive great service. Alex A. was professional and friendly. He kept me informed during the process of checking my furnace and heat pump to make sure they were working properly. The company makes sure you are notified who is coming and when they are on the way. All my interactions with the company have been wonderful."
- Beverly S.