5 Tips for Choosing a Low-Flow Toilet for Your Remodeled Bathroom
A great addition to any bathroom remodeling project is a low-flow toilet.
The technology for low-flow toilets has improved dramatically, making them significantly more energy efficient. This will not only help your home to become even more eco-friendly, but it will also reduce your water expenses.
To choose the best low-flow toilet for your home and bath, consider these tips:
- HET – Look for a model that meets the high efficiency toilet (HET) standard, which was newly set to ensure better water utilization with a maximum 1.3 gallons per flush (gpf). This is 20 percent less than the standard maximum of 1.6 gpf.
- Height, shape and design – Consider your bathroom’s design and look for a toilet that will compliment the overall style and fit comfortably in the available space. Pay close attention to the plumbing requirements for the new toilet compared to your existing plumbing. There are numerous designs with various heights and seat shapes from which to choose.
- Price – A toilet that’s at a higher price point doesn’t necessarily reflect higher quality. Carefully review the toilet’s specifications and design to ensure this model fits your needs. Some of the best performing toilets aren’t the most expensive.
- Functionality – Look for low-flow toilets that will meet or exceed your performance requirements. Consider frequency of use, family dynamics and overall functionality. Also consider advanced features such as dual or single flush options and pressure assistance.
- Removal options – Many toilets utilize a gravity flush process which sucks waste down, while others (particularly popular in Europe) operate with a pressurized option that pushes waste through the system. The pressurized option, which is used in most dual flush models, often uses even less water than the gravity flush option.
For more information on how low-flow toilets can impact your home, contact the HVAC and plumbing professionals at Apollo Home Heating, Cooling and Plumbing. We’re proud to serve homeowners in and around the greater Cincinnati area.
Image via Shutterstock.com
"Ernie & Mike did a superb job on my new furnace and A/C installation. Despite having more than a day’s work to do, they came in and stayed until the job was done. They were organized, efficient, and protected the rest of the house well. Got both furnace and A/C installed the same day. Ernie was courteous, informative, and clearly knew his job better than anyone I’ve encountered before. The units look so good guests now get The Tour of our new system. Apollo is clearly not a fly-by-night company. I would recommend them to anyone in need of a new furnace and/or A/C."
- Jerry A.
"I called Apollo because of a water leak I thought I had in our upstairs shower going into the kitchen. Robbie came and assured me everything was fine & looked at all the other plumbing. He ended up changing a few pipes for our washer & clearing a drain. He was very nice & knowledgeable with all my questions. I ended up signing up for the care plan & was very happy with my service."
- Cassandra B.
"The team at Apollo exceeded my expectations. As a business owner, my attention to the details and commitment to providing excellent service is high. From the sales rep. to the installation team, everyone’s performance was outstanding. For example, the installation team went to great lengths to protect our floors, placing floor runners and across the wood floors and up the stairs. They even were spot washing walls upon their departure. I highly recommend this company."
- Randy B.
"We scheduled an estimate AND a tune-up. We knew something was wrong with our furnace, but hoped we could make it through the rest of the season. Upon telling Bill what our furnace was doing, he warned us immediately what the possible outcome was going to be; a cracked heat exchanger. He watched the flames roll backward, tested carbon monoxide levels, which were so high they meter’s last reading was 5,600 before saying “high”. He immediately shut it down, tagged it, and explained that with levels that high and children in our home he wanted off right away. He continued his inspection and showed us via a camera that not only was it cracked in multiple places, but had holes all over it. He gave us a few options for repairing it; his knowledge as well as genuine concern was beneficial and refreshing. Luckily we also scheduled an estimator, Micah, to come too and we were able to get costs between repairing and replacing (with several options). We decided to replace with a much higher efficiency furnace and one sized properly to our home. Hands down, not only did they both provide us great service and knowledge, but without sounding dramatic, they may have saved our lives. This was our first time calling Apollo, but it won’t be our last."
- Sarah B.
"Apollo is an excellent company. I always receive great service. Alex A. was professional and friendly. He kept me informed during the process of checking my furnace and heat pump to make sure they were working properly. The company makes sure you are notified who is coming and when they are on the way. All my interactions with the company have been wonderful."
- Beverly S.