You may think you’ve finished your home maintenance until spring. But have you done a thorough check of your plumbing system? If you haven’t, set aside your next weekend to get the job accomplished. You’ll be able to catch small problems before they become big issues.
So what does a thorough plumbing evaluation involve? Here’s an idea:
- Check your water pipes for leaks. Repair any leaks that you find, or call your plumber to do the job. Make a mental note to insulate the pipes, as well. This is a DIY job that can go a long way toward preventing a winter freeze-up.
- Check your water pressure. Low pressure could indicate a problem in the line running to the street.
- Inspect the drain in every sink for signs of blockage.
- Check each toilet. Is it cracked? Is the base wobbly or leaking? Is it flushing properly? Check the tank, and make sure all parts are working.
- Take a look at each sink, along with its fixtures. Is it draining properly? Is the faucet dripping? Is there any leakage around the fixtures? Plan to fix any leaks in the not-too-distant future.
- Check the showers. Make sure no caulk is cracked or missing. Repair as needed. Unscrew the shower head and look for any sediment buildup. Clean out the sediment, or replace the shower head.
- This is a good time to drain the water heater. Sediment can build up in the bottom of the tank and cause corrosion. Eventually, your furnace could develop a leak and need to be replaced.
Your plumbing is one of the most important systems in your home. The professionals at Apollo Home Heating, Cooling & Plumbing understand that. If you live in the Cincinnati area and you need help with your system, give us a call. We’re happy to help.
Image via Shutterstock.com
"Ernie & Mike did a superb job on my new furnace and A/C installation. Despite having more than a day’s work to do, they came in and stayed until the job was done. They were organized, efficient, and protected the rest of the house well. Got both furnace and A/C installed the same day. Ernie was courteous, informative, and clearly knew his job better than anyone I’ve encountered before. The units look so good guests now get The Tour of our new system. Apollo is clearly not a fly-by-night company. I would recommend them to anyone in need of a new furnace and/or A/C."
- Jerry A.
"I called Apollo because of a water leak I thought I had in our upstairs shower going into the kitchen. Robbie came and assured me everything was fine & looked at all the other plumbing. He ended up changing a few pipes for our washer & clearing a drain. He was very nice & knowledgeable with all my questions. I ended up signing up for the care plan & was very happy with my service."
- Cassandra B.
"The team at Apollo exceeded my expectations. As a business owner, my attention to the details and commitment to providing excellent service is high. From the sales rep. to the installation team, everyone’s performance was outstanding. For example, the installation team went to great lengths to protect our floors, placing floor runners and across the wood floors and up the stairs. They even were spot washing walls upon their departure. I highly recommend this company."
- Randy B.
"We scheduled an estimate AND a tune-up. We knew something was wrong with our furnace, but hoped we could make it through the rest of the season. Upon telling Bill what our furnace was doing, he warned us immediately what the possible outcome was going to be; a cracked heat exchanger. He watched the flames roll backward, tested carbon monoxide levels, which were so high they meter’s last reading was 5,600 before saying “high”. He immediately shut it down, tagged it, and explained that with levels that high and children in our home he wanted off right away. He continued his inspection and showed us via a camera that not only was it cracked in multiple places, but had holes all over it. He gave us a few options for repairing it; his knowledge as well as genuine concern was beneficial and refreshing. Luckily we also scheduled an estimator, Micah, to come too and we were able to get costs between repairing and replacing (with several options). We decided to replace with a much higher efficiency furnace and one sized properly to our home. Hands down, not only did they both provide us great service and knowledge, but without sounding dramatic, they may have saved our lives. This was our first time calling Apollo, but it won’t be our last."
- Sarah B.
"Apollo is an excellent company. I always receive great service. Alex A. was professional and friendly. He kept me informed during the process of checking my furnace and heat pump to make sure they were working properly. The company makes sure you are notified who is coming and when they are on the way. All my interactions with the company have been wonderful."
- Beverly S.