5 Ways To Avoid Getting Zapped When There’s Too Much Static In Your Life
Despite its name, static electricity isn’t dangerous. But it’s a nuisance, that’s for sure. No matter how hard you try to avoid it, an annoying little zap can greet you after you walk across the carpet to turn off a light. You might even get zapped when you hug one of your children. To avoid getting zapped (as well as having fly-away hair and clingy skirts) here are a few tactics to try. What is static electricity? Electric charges gather on the surfaces of your home. When two surfaces come together — when you move across a rug and then reach out to touch a family member, for example — the two charges meet, and you get zapped by static electricity. It’s more common to get zapped during winter, when temperatures are cooler, and the air is drier. How to avoid getting zapped You can address static electricity issues in a number of ways:
- One of the easiest and most efficient ways of controlling static electricity involves using a humidifier. Installing a whole-house humidifier restores moisture to the air and helps you avoid getting zapped.
- Fill a pot with water, and bring it to a simmer on the stove. As the water simmers, it will send vapor into the air. Keep your eye on the water level in the pot as it simmers to avoid burning the pot.
- Fill a few bowls with water, and place them around your home. If the air in your home isn’t overly dry, this may be sufficient to avoid getting zapped.
- Use dryer sheets to prevent static electricity. Always use one when you’re drying your clothes. You can also rub a sheet over yourself if your clothes tend to cling.
- Use lotion to add moisture to your skin. This will create a barrier against static electricity.
“Apollo is an excellent company. I always receive great service. Alex A. was professional and friendly. He kept...”
“We scheduled an estimate AND a tune-up. We knew something was wrong with our furnace, but hoped we could make ...”
“The team at Apollo exceeded my expectations. As a business owner, my attention to the details and commitment t...”
“I called Apollo because of a water leak I thought I had in our upstairs shower going into the kitchen. Robbie ...”
“Ernie & Mike did a superb job on my new furnace and A/C installation. Despite having more than a day’s w...”
Peace of Mind
On Time Service
JOIN OUR TEAM