5 Principles That Make HVAC Air Duct Design Efficient and Effective
Quality HVAC air duct design plays a tremendous role in a home’s energy efficiency. A properly designed duct system can help your HVAC system deliver the right amount of conditioned air without wasting energy or creating excessive wear and tear on HVAC components.
Not surprisingly, there are five key principles that govern efficient, effective HVAC air duct design:
- Proper ductwork is an absolute must – Shortcuts like closing up wall voids or creating ceiling joist channels can rob your home of its energy efficiency over the long run. Metal and/or fiberglass should be the only materials used for ductwork.
- Handling ducts in unconditioned spaces – You should have most, if not all, of your ductwork within conditioned zones of your home. For unconditioned spaces, ducts should be properly insulated.
- Balance is crucial – The volume of air entering and leaving a room must be balanced to maintain neutral air pressure. Manual dampers can help adjust air flow for just the right amount of balance.
- Always leave a clear path for return air – Return air should always have a clear, unobstructed path, especially when using central return vents in a common area. Jumper ducts and pass-through grilles can help maintain unobstructed air flow.
- Proper sealing and leak-testing is essential – Duct segments should be properly sealed with metal foil tape, mastic or a combination of the two. HVAC technicians should also leak-test ductwork prior to making final connections to the rest of the HVAC system.
Contact us at Apollo Home Heating, Cooling and Plumbing to learn more about HVAC air duct design for your home. We proudly serve the greater Cincinnati area.
Image via Shutterstock.com
"Ernie & Mike did a superb job on my new furnace and A/C installation. Despite having more than a day’s work to do, they came in and stayed until the job was done. They were organized, efficient, and protected the rest of the house well. Got both furnace and A/C installed the same day. Ernie was courteous, informative, and clearly knew his job better than anyone I’ve encountered before. The units look so good guests now get The Tour of our new system. Apollo is clearly not a fly-by-night company. I would recommend them to anyone in need of a new furnace and/or A/C."
- Jerry A.
"I called Apollo because of a water leak I thought I had in our upstairs shower going into the kitchen. Robbie came and assured me everything was fine & looked at all the other plumbing. He ended up changing a few pipes for our washer & clearing a drain. He was very nice & knowledgeable with all my questions. I ended up signing up for the care plan & was very happy with my service."
- Cassandra B.
"The team at Apollo exceeded my expectations. As a business owner, my attention to the details and commitment to providing excellent service is high. From the sales rep. to the installation team, everyone’s performance was outstanding. For example, the installation team went to great lengths to protect our floors, placing floor runners and across the wood floors and up the stairs. They even were spot washing walls upon their departure. I highly recommend this company."
- Randy B.
"We scheduled an estimate AND a tune-up. We knew something was wrong with our furnace, but hoped we could make it through the rest of the season. Upon telling Bill what our furnace was doing, he warned us immediately what the possible outcome was going to be; a cracked heat exchanger. He watched the flames roll backward, tested carbon monoxide levels, which were so high they meter’s last reading was 5,600 before saying “high”. He immediately shut it down, tagged it, and explained that with levels that high and children in our home he wanted off right away. He continued his inspection and showed us via a camera that not only was it cracked in multiple places, but had holes all over it. He gave us a few options for repairing it; his knowledge as well as genuine concern was beneficial and refreshing. Luckily we also scheduled an estimator, Micah, to come too and we were able to get costs between repairing and replacing (with several options). We decided to replace with a much higher efficiency furnace and one sized properly to our home. Hands down, not only did they both provide us great service and knowledge, but without sounding dramatic, they may have saved our lives. This was our first time calling Apollo, but it won’t be our last."
- Sarah B.
"Apollo is an excellent company. I always receive great service. Alex A. was professional and friendly. He kept me informed during the process of checking my furnace and heat pump to make sure they were working properly. The company makes sure you are notified who is coming and when they are on the way. All my interactions with the company have been wonderful."
- Beverly S.