Your furnace is your main line of defense against the winter cold. When it starts to have problems, your first thought may be about the cost of having a service person come out. Before you get too upset, you need to check out a few things first.
8 Easy Furnace Fixes
Try these easy fixes for your furnace troubles before you call for professional help:
- Check the thermostat. Someone might have set the temperature too low. Also, some programmable thermostats run on batteries. If the batteries are dead, replace them.
- Check the breakers. An electricity spike can cause breakers to flip off to protect the system. If they are off, switch them back to on.
- Change the filters. When air is not flowing properly, some systems will overwork and temporarily shutdown. You should replace air filters once a month.
- Make sure the fuel is present and flowing. If the oil, gas or propane is not flowing, then the furnace will not run.
- Check that the exhaust flue is clear. The furnace will shut down if the exhaust fumes have no place to go.
- Flush the drain lines. Many heat pump systems have drain lines to remove excess water. If the drain lines back up, a special switch will turn the system off.
- Check for leaky or blocked air ducts. This goes back to the same airflow issues related to air filters.
- Make sure the heat pump and intake/exhaust vents are clear of leaves and debris. A quick sweep or rake may do the trick.
These fixes won’t take much time to try. If these furnace fixes don’t work, the next step is to call in a qualified professional. The professional has the training, equipment and experience to fix the furnace quickly and get your house warm again.
When you need help with furnace problems, or have other issues related to home comfort, contact us here at Apollo Home Heating, Cooling and Plumbing. We have been serving the Greater Cincinnati area since 1910. Call us as soon as your furnace has a problem you cannot handle.
Image via Shutterstock.com
"Ernie & Mike did a superb job on my new furnace and A/C installation. Despite having more than a day’s work to do, they came in and stayed until the job was done. They were organized, efficient, and protected the rest of the house well. Got both furnace and A/C installed the same day. Ernie was courteous, informative, and clearly knew his job better than anyone I’ve encountered before. The units look so good guests now get The Tour of our new system. Apollo is clearly not a fly-by-night company. I would recommend them to anyone in need of a new furnace and/or A/C."
- Jerry A.
"I called Apollo because of a water leak I thought I had in our upstairs shower going into the kitchen. Robbie came and assured me everything was fine & looked at all the other plumbing. He ended up changing a few pipes for our washer & clearing a drain. He was very nice & knowledgeable with all my questions. I ended up signing up for the care plan & was very happy with my service."
- Cassandra B.
"The team at Apollo exceeded my expectations. As a business owner, my attention to the details and commitment to providing excellent service is high. From the sales rep. to the installation team, everyone’s performance was outstanding. For example, the installation team went to great lengths to protect our floors, placing floor runners and across the wood floors and up the stairs. They even were spot washing walls upon their departure. I highly recommend this company."
- Randy B.
"We scheduled an estimate AND a tune-up. We knew something was wrong with our furnace, but hoped we could make it through the rest of the season. Upon telling Bill what our furnace was doing, he warned us immediately what the possible outcome was going to be; a cracked heat exchanger. He watched the flames roll backward, tested carbon monoxide levels, which were so high they meter’s last reading was 5,600 before saying “high”. He immediately shut it down, tagged it, and explained that with levels that high and children in our home he wanted off right away. He continued his inspection and showed us via a camera that not only was it cracked in multiple places, but had holes all over it. He gave us a few options for repairing it; his knowledge as well as genuine concern was beneficial and refreshing. Luckily we also scheduled an estimator, Micah, to come too and we were able to get costs between repairing and replacing (with several options). We decided to replace with a much higher efficiency furnace and one sized properly to our home. Hands down, not only did they both provide us great service and knowledge, but without sounding dramatic, they may have saved our lives. This was our first time calling Apollo, but it won’t be our last."
- Sarah B.
"Apollo is an excellent company. I always receive great service. Alex A. was professional and friendly. He kept me informed during the process of checking my furnace and heat pump to make sure they were working properly. The company makes sure you are notified who is coming and when they are on the way. All my interactions with the company have been wonderful."
- Beverly S.