Furnace Trouble? Try These Easy Fixes Before You Call for Help
Your furnace is your main line of defense against the winter cold. When it starts to have problems, your first thought may be about the cost of having a service person come out. Before you get too upset, you need to check out a few things first.
8 Easy Furnace FixesTry these easy fixes for your furnace troubles before you call for professional help:
- Check the thermostat. Someone might have set the temperature too low. Also, some programmable thermostats run on batteries. If the batteries are dead, replace them.
- Check the breakers. An electricity spike can cause breakers to flip off to protect the system. If they are off, switch them back to on.
- Change the filters. When air is not flowing properly, some systems will overwork and temporarily shutdown. You should replace air filters once a month.
- Make sure the fuel is present and flowing. If the oil, gas or propane is not flowing, then the furnace will not run.
- Check that the exhaust flue is clear. The furnace will shut down if the exhaust fumes have no place to go.
- Flush the drain lines. Many heat pump systems have drain lines to remove excess water. If the drain lines back up, a special switch will turn the system off.
- Check for leaky or blocked air ducts. This goes back to the same airflow issues related to air filters.
- Make sure the heat pump and intake/exhaust vents are clear of leaves and debris. A quick sweep or rake may do the trick.