5 Furnace Warning Signs that Every Home Owner Should Know
Regular furnace maintenance is critical to optimum heating performance and, moreover, safe operation all winter long. Gas-fired forced-air furnaces are sturdy beasts and may not give obvious warnings of developing problems.
If something begins to malfunction in an old furnace, will you realize it soon enough to prevent unexpected heating loss in your home and/or even hazards to your family’s health and safety?
If not, first of all, make sure your heating system is professionally installed and that regular furnace maintenance is performed by qualified HVAC technicians. In addition to that, be alert to these signs of potential furnace problems:
- Rising heating costs — If your gas bill’s going up noticeably, loss of combustion efficiency could be the problem. Because combustion malfunctions could also trigger an increase in hazardous byproducts like carbon monoxide gas, contact an HVAC service provider ASAP.
- Frequent repairs — An increase in service calls often means an older furnace is reaching the end of its expected service life—normally averaging 15 years. Unfortunately, you’ll probably be faced with still more expensive repairs in the imminent future, too. Once a tipping point is reached, replacing the old failing furnace with a new, more energy-efficient model is the most cost-effective option.
- Burner flame flickering yellow instead of steady blue — This is an indicator of combustion problems that could include an obstructed vent, dirty burners or a cracked heat exchanger. Any possible issues with the heat exchanger should be checked promptly by a qualified HVAC tech due to the risk of carbon monoxide infiltration.
- Inconsistent heating performance — If rooms that used to stay comfortable are now perpetually chilly, the furnace may be losing BTU output. A service technician will check gas pressure, ductwork condition and other possible causes.
- Strange noises — Gas-fired furnaces in proper working order are usually quiet. However, a “roaring” burner, explosive ignition booms when the burner lights, or squeaks and squeals from the blower moving parts are all signs of wear and tear, as well as potential safety hazards.
For more about furnace maintenance as well as recognizing the warning signs of furnace failure, ask the professionals at Apollo Home Heating, Cooling and Plumbing.
"Ernie & Mike did a superb job on my new furnace and A/C installation. Despite having more than a day’s work to do, they came in and stayed until the job was done. They were organized, efficient, and protected the rest of the house well. Got both furnace and A/C installed the same day. Ernie was courteous, informative, and clearly knew his job better than anyone I’ve encountered before. The units look so good guests now get The Tour of our new system. Apollo is clearly not a fly-by-night company. I would recommend them to anyone in need of a new furnace and/or A/C."
- Jerry A.
"I called Apollo because of a water leak I thought I had in our upstairs shower going into the kitchen. Robbie came and assured me everything was fine & looked at all the other plumbing. He ended up changing a few pipes for our washer & clearing a drain. He was very nice & knowledgeable with all my questions. I ended up signing up for the care plan & was very happy with my service."
- Cassandra B.
"The team at Apollo exceeded my expectations. As a business owner, my attention to the details and commitment to providing excellent service is high. From the sales rep. to the installation team, everyone’s performance was outstanding. For example, the installation team went to great lengths to protect our floors, placing floor runners and across the wood floors and up the stairs. They even were spot washing walls upon their departure. I highly recommend this company."
- Randy B.
"We scheduled an estimate AND a tune-up. We knew something was wrong with our furnace, but hoped we could make it through the rest of the season. Upon telling Bill what our furnace was doing, he warned us immediately what the possible outcome was going to be; a cracked heat exchanger. He watched the flames roll backward, tested carbon monoxide levels, which were so high they meter’s last reading was 5,600 before saying “high”. He immediately shut it down, tagged it, and explained that with levels that high and children in our home he wanted off right away. He continued his inspection and showed us via a camera that not only was it cracked in multiple places, but had holes all over it. He gave us a few options for repairing it; his knowledge as well as genuine concern was beneficial and refreshing. Luckily we also scheduled an estimator, Micah, to come too and we were able to get costs between repairing and replacing (with several options). We decided to replace with a much higher efficiency furnace and one sized properly to our home. Hands down, not only did they both provide us great service and knowledge, but without sounding dramatic, they may have saved our lives. This was our first time calling Apollo, but it won’t be our last."
- Sarah B.
"Apollo is an excellent company. I always receive great service. Alex A. was professional and friendly. He kept me informed during the process of checking my furnace and heat pump to make sure they were working properly. The company makes sure you are notified who is coming and when they are on the way. All my interactions with the company have been wonderful."
- Beverly S.