If you want your household to run smoothly, one of the most important tasks you can take on is finding the perfect handyman to tackle home improvement needs. But hiring a professional handyman can sometimes be tricky if you don’t know what to look for. We suggest that you follow these simple tips that will help you make the right choice:
- Don’t stop at the first one – Even if the first handyman you interview seems great, it’s always advisable to interview at least a couple more for a true comparison. There’s no reason to shortchange yourself.
- Know your project – It’s important to remember that a handyman isn’t the same as a contractor. A handyman is better suited to smaller projects that don’t require a permit, such as installing light fixtures, replacing a toilet, and painting interiors.
- Be cautious – Unfortunately, there are unscrupulous handymen out there who would rather take advantage of you than do a good job. First and foremost, question any handyman who comes to your door or calls you to solicit a job. Also be wary of anyone who wants payment before the job is completed.
- Ask for a guarantee – Any reputable handyman will have no problem with guaranteeing his or her work, usually for a period of one year.
- Get everything in writing – Before any job begins, you should have everything in writing, including the aforementioned guarantee. This will protect you in the event that something goes wrong or isn’t exactly how you expected it to be.
- Inspect the work – After a project is completed, don’t just pay the handyman and let him or her go on their merry way. Before any money has exchanged hands, take a look at the handyman’s work and make sure it meets your expectations. If not, have the work corrected, inspect it again, and then pay for the work.
For more expert advice on hiring a professional handyman or for any other home comfort concerns, please contact the friendly professionals at Apollo Home Heating, Cooling and Plumbing. We’ve been serving the HVAC needs of the greater Cincinnati area since 1910.
Image via Shutterstock.com