Hiring an HVAC professional to do work in your greater Cincinnati area home is serious business.
Invest your time wisely, researching any potential hire based on a set of criteria designed to help you choose a winner the first time around. Here are nine great tips to help get you started.
- Use your contacts. Friends, family and neighbors can be a great source of information. Be sure to ask around to see if any of them can recommend a local contractor they’ve used in the past.
- Obtain references. It’s important to get at least three local references, but it’s even more important to call them. Have a prepared list of questions to ask each, including how satisfied they were with the work, the technician’s professionalism and cost of the job, and whether or not they would hire the same HVAC company again.
- Check credentials. Verify the HVAC pro’s license and insurance before hiring, ensuring that both are valid and up to date.
- Have a face-to-face. Insist on an in-home evaluation to obtain a more accurate estimate and properly assess your needs based on factors such as your insulation level, type of windows, ductwork and the size of your home.
- Get it in writing. Before hiring an HVAC professional, obtain a written estimate listing parts, labor and warranty information, as well as start and completion dates.
- Cover your bases. Make sure the contractor will be pulling all the necessary permits prior to beginning work on your project.
- Ask questions. Inquire about key factors such as emergency service, warranty information and whether or not the contractor offers a preventive maintenance program.
- Shoot for the stars. Opt for a NATE-certified contractor. Those technicians receiving certification have passed strict requirements and rigorous testing, showing superior knowledge within their field.
- Invest in your future. Choose an HVAC expert you’ll feel comfortable working with in the future for service, maintenance or replacement of your HVAC system.
Before hiring an HVAC professional, call the experts at Apollo Home Heating, Cooling and Plumbing. Since 1910, we’ve been providing homeowners in the greater Cincinnati area with quality, reliable service at a great price and we’d like to earn your business.
Image via Shutterstock.com