Springtime Allergies: Get Relief in Your Cincinnati Home | Blog
Although many of the signs of spring are associated with feelings of happiness, for allergy sufferers, the appearance of such signs can bring on feelings of dread. Those who are sensitive know they’ll endure the season sniffling, sneezing and wheezing – and those are milder symptoms. Serious allergic reactions can lead to a trip to the emergency room, and can even be fatal.
While there’s nothing you can do about what nature’s doing outdoors, the good news is that there are steps you can take at home to help alleviate your symptoms. Since you spend a huge portion of your day in your home, such measures can make a big difference in how you feel overall. Learn what to do in your home to relieve springtime allergies today.
Relieving Springtime Allergies
By being diligent with the the following techniques, you can help reduce your allergic symptoms and start breathing easier at home:
- Don’t keep any carpeted areas in your home, when possible. If you do have carpets, vacuum them twice per week, ideally with a machine that has a HEPA (high efficiency particulate air) filter.
- Destroy any mold you see with a bleach solution and then thoroughly dry the area. Fix water leaks immediately to prevent mold growth.
- Change the filters in your HVAC system monthly, or as recommended by the manufacturer.
- Use plastic or zip-up allergen impermeable covers on all of your mattresses, pillows and box springs. Clean your bedding once a week in hot water.
- Clean all of the surfaces of your home a couple times every week.
- Install a whole house air cleaner, or use room air cleaners in the bedrooms of those who have allergies.
- Use a dehumidifier and/or your air conditioner on humid days.
- Brush pets outside daily and bathe them weekly, preferably by someone who doesn’t suffer from pet allergies.
- Stay indoors on windy, dry days when pollen is wafting around in high volumes outside. Pollen levels are lowest after rain.
To get more tips on clearing up springtime allergies for those in the Greater Cincinnati area, please feel free to contact us at Apollo Home Heating Cooling and Plumbing anytime.
Image via Shutterstock.com